Not planned Suggestion:Privacy settings for your IP(if you have good reputation)

C.L.

I know this may not be planned or approved and I know it may be restricting to moderators but there should be an option in the privacy settings where you can block moderators from viewing your IP,not even your proxy if you have one. To make sure spammers or people with bad reputation don't take this into advantage,this should be applied to only people who have at least 18 trophy points such as most likes and stuff like that and have a positive reputation. When you get awarded 18 trophy points(and you have a good reputation),you should be able to acquire this feature and be able to choose weather you want it on or off. Since people can't even view your proxy IP(if you use one)maybe you could put a message in place of it. It should look something like this to a moderator or someone who has the ability to handle IPs:"User IP: (You are not welcome to track this user's IP)" If you don't make your own message,there should be a default message for it:"You have insufficient privileges to track this user's IP address" This should block moderators,but not the creators.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's the admin's choice what permissions their staff get.

If they don't want to give IP viewing permission, they don't have to. But being able to see IP information can be helpful for staff even for "known" users. If a staff member is abusing their role, it should be the admin who restricts them.

It's the admin's choice what permissions their staff get.

If they don't want to give IP viewing permission, they don't have to. But being able to see IP information can be helpful for staff even for "known" users.
Well,I guess it depends on the forum.:unsure: Also,people with good reputation should be able to choose more privacy settings. It would actually be against privacy itself to even have someone's IP. Heck,you could track their location with an IP!(In the forum I come from,a moderator is not a staff member) Maybe that option should still be available just in case someone planning to make a forum wants it(someone who wants their members to enjoy it there.) Face the facts,people are beginning to use proxies and IP hiding software weather you like it or not. If people want to go to a forum where they can even hide their proxy(if they have one)from moderators(if they have a good reputation)and especially known members. Now with known members,IP handling may go out of hand(I don't know the permissions of a known member since the forum I'm from a community that has noob member,member,active member,senior member,veteran,moderator,and staff member)because if someone is given these powers just because they've become known,it may go wacko and all!(someone can become a known member with bad or nearly bad reputation.) And by the time a moderator has already misused their power to track IPs,they would have already gotten your IP and maybe tracked the location down. Users with good reputation should at least get one power(to further protect their privacy)and enjoy it. There.:coffee:

How accurate do you thinking IP geolocation tracking is? o_O
Well before I got ********:censored: it was pretty close-in my hometown-enough to help narrow it down. I just now looked it up at whatismyipaddress.com and it was in the dead center of my town,not my address.

It's fairly accurate to your city but hardly pinpoints to your exact address. It's easy to mask an IP in this day and age... From VPN to Tor. If you have privacy issues they should be dealt with at your network level; simply a permission on one forum to stop some users viewing your IP won't do much for your online privacy.

It's fairly accurate to your city but hardly pinpoints to your exact address. It's easy to mask an IP in this day and age... From VPN to Tor. If you have privacy issues they should be dealt with at your network level; simply a permission on one forum to stop some users viewing your IP won't do much for your online privacy.
Well,if this feature does become available for forums that may want it,it's worth a try. If someone is using a proxy,it can at least hide the proxy. And how is anyone going to get the IP(if the option becomes available and)if they either don't allow anyone to view their identities or if they don't have anything in their identities?

Top Bottom