[Suggestion] Pingbacks/Trackbacks

Pyro

I have to admit I don't quite understand the intricacies of the pingback/trackback system....

But it would be neat to see something like this implemented in xenforo as it is in blog software (most notably wordpress) - ie. if a URL is mentioned in a post, it'll ping the wordpress blog if applicable so the the link to the post or thread is displayed on the blog, and maybe something where if a post is refrenced on another forum or blog, it will show up on the original xenforo post...

Upvote 19
I have to admit I don't quite understand the intricacies of the pingback/trackback system....

But it would be neat to see something like this implemented in xenforo as it is in blog software (most notably wordpress) - ie. if a URL is mentioned in a post, it'll ping the wordpress blog if applicable so the the link to the post or thread is displayed on the blog, and maybe something where if a post is refrenced on another forum or blog, it will show up on the original xenforo post...

I second this!
smile.png

It's also a great tool. I get email notifications when there is a new linkback to approve on vb4. (using vbSEO) I use this feature to find out when other sites are talking about my site and be able to contribute to that conversation or get one of my staff to help correct misinformation.

Moving on - no point strictly debating the merits of vBSEO here. If you think there are things of value in it that XF would benefit from, then by all means suggest them.

I don't know of any other forum that comes packaged with Refback, Pingback and Linkbacks as an optional feature. It would keep in line with Xenforo having the some of the best SEO features out of all the forum products out there.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was just thinking the same thing; Pingbacks would be great for SEO and traffic for a new forum. Since the main barrier to running a forum is getting it off the ground in the first place, pingbacks = easier to launch = more forums = more revenue for XF.
Has anything been done on this, either core or addon? Some quick google-fu only revealed this thread and a duplicate.

Just as long as it doesn't suffer from the current problem that the WordPress implementation does (IE: DDOS attack usage against other sites).

Simplified said: it would be great to see the incoming links for each thread. (hidden for users and maybe below the thread) Recording and tracking the link should not enable DDOS-attacks?

Simplified said: it would be great to see the incoming links for each thread. (hidden for users and maybe below the thread) Recording and tracking the link should not enable DDOS-attacks?
If it uses a ping back routine like WP does, then it could be abused - just as WordPress is being used currently to launch a LOT of DDos attacks.
If you notice, the OP made a reference specifically to WordPress.

That's why it should just record into the db and then show them to me, not ping back ;)

Last edited:
If you use ping back & track backs on every post of blog in word press site. Then you will definitely received spam comments pingbacks. Because it happened with me last day. Yesterday i get lots of spam comments on each post of site. Actually these were pingbacks which comes from spam sites or shopping sites automatically. After that i disabled pingback option from all post. I think its not a good idea to activate ping back. Is there anyone get same reault as me.

This was an integral feature of vbseo and was great for widening our reach. The caveat was that you could configure the settings, and it was rarely recommended to "receive" trackbacks due to spam issues - but sending them worked well for us.

Definitely seconded as a potential killer feature for helping to build traffic.

Top Bottom