Lack of interest [Suggestion] Optional support for third party image hosting services?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Chromaniac

I personally do not like the ability of image uploads on the server that is being used for the forum itself.

The biggest problem being... The image being shared is only going to be relevant for a short period of time in 90% of the cases. It massively increases the space consumed by the forum. And so on...

That is why I recommend my forum users to use a third party service (IMGUR is what I recommend) for sharing images.

Of course, I might be in a minority here... Just a suggestion... Offer support for integration with some of the third party image sharing services. IMGUR has an excellent API that can be used here.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
since i would be disabling the upload functionality anyways... it would be cool enough for me if XF makes it easy for me to write my own content for the upload box detailing how users can add files/images to their post using recommended third party services. i tried doing the same in my vB installation but found it to be rather complicated. :)

I was having this idea as well from so long. Since this feature was suggested ahead of its time it might have marked as lack of interest. I believe many still want this and especially when you own a forum with millions of posts where users end up uploading creepy images as attachments, they will eventually end up filling the filebase unnecessarily. Imgur like service comes handy then. Anyone can see imgur was having strong place for image storing back then and still they are going strong so i believe atleast for next ten years it will go strong as well.

An unknown developer made this feature available, i was among very first buyer but images were getting inserted multiple times, css was hardcoded so all other styles were showing the buttons in same color (not as per color palette defined colors) and many other issues. He never fixed them. It ended up getting terrible when all his add-ons removed and he got banned as well. All i had was loosing USD 60 with no use code.

With XF 2.0 rewrite XF has integrated various third party services. I feel Imgur integration option should added as well so people can get attachment kind UI to upload images even when Attachments are disabled and external image uploading enabled. If core software have this, we won't get the issues any buggy add-ons cause too.

@Chris D, can this suggestion be unmarked as Lack of interest again?

Top Bottom