Lack of interest [Suggestion] Option to disable the notification "You will not receive"

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Shanj

I'm sure many like the way email notifications shut down until you visit the thread.

But I hate it.
Far too many times I use the link only to find a +1 or just a smilie or something. Not worth visiting for.
But I wouldn't want to stop others having their kind of fun. I just don't want to be nagged just for that. Those sorts are fun to read a series, or as part of a series including something informative. But really annoying to click through and that's all it's about. Happens a LOT.

Also if I have a busy few hours - most days - that notification slips down my inbox. I'm then highly likely to forget it completely.
It'd be much better if I saw a series of notifications on X thread which is then saying - it's getting to the point that it's worth a visit.

But because of the unwelcome pressure NOT to lose out on the notifications - I'm sure I've lost quite a few - I click through too often per day so I get these mini posts that are irritating as the result. (Not irritating otherwise, just as the reward for using a notification link.)

Can this feature be disabled in admincp?
Or could it be set to notify once a day all together? as a user option?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Granular controls on notices.
Do not notify me of new posts less than 10 characters in length could be one.

Thank you Ruven but I don't understand. Granular?

I checked my preferences here again and there's nothing like that.
Is this something I can set up for my members in admincp?

Thank you Ruven but I don't understand. Granular?

I checked my preferences here again and there's nothing like that.
Is this something I can set up for my members in admincp?
No i mean that they should implement granular controls for notices.
Granular control means to have finer control over each option and its secondary effects.

No i mean that they should implement granular controls for notices.
Granular control means to have finer control over each option and its secondary effects.

Yes that would be good.

Though actually I'm also going to need to disable that whole
You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.
thing. I have certain messages that mods need to send out regardless of whether previous notifications have been checked or not.

This:
You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

I need either an option or the code to edit to bypass this.

I can't have this enabled on my forum. My users expect to be alerted - no matter what.
This goes back to my "Subscribe By Forum" [Suggestion]

I'm getting to HATE the feature which cuts off notification emails if I don't visit.
Really really HATE it.

I've already several times discovered that I'd lost track of important threads I want to keep up with. Either the email never arrived so I didn't know to visit and got cut offGRRRRR
or busy inbox pushed the notification way down the list until I lost track of it.

That second situation can happen within a few hours. For most of my secondary mail (which I don't want to deal with instantly) it doesn't matter. I can get back to it the following day or even the next day. But with this I have no way of knowing that a whole series of posts are building up ... if I knew that it would move the priority up for me and make me more likely to visit.

Thirdly it;s an annoyance for a busy person to be pushed by this risk of cutoff to visit only to find
" +1 "
or
"Heh heh"
or something like that. Again if I can note a series of notifies coming in and THEN visit when it suits ME I'm more likely to find some substance to view when I get here.

I would like
- admincp option to keep as is,
OR admin disable this feature so notifications continue going out until user manually Unwatches.
- admincp option to enable user to control it for themselves. If enabled I as user can opt to go on receiving notifications if I don't visit until I decide to Unwatch.

Obviously the option to continue receiving notifications whether admin or user enabled, would need to delete the associated warning in the notification email.
Which I also hate by the way. Too pressurising it irritates me every time.

Possibly - I don't know. The main thing is that I'm noticing more stuff getting lost so it's even more serious than I first thought. I can't transfer my boards until this is resolved either because we need to keep sending out copies of posts and not have them cut off.

As I haven't got a board working yet because of this issue, has it been resolved then? If it has and this board's admin option is to keep the cutoff, as a user here I wouldn't know about it.

That's actually an awesome idea.

Yes that's nice and it helps. But still NEED to disable this whole cutoff thing.
Also (don't have a live XF yet just 2 licences) - can XF notifications include a copy of the post?

Apologies - my second thread that got merged with this was not just for the cutoff it was titled Notifications so allowed for more issues.

Shanj...

You said it best...

Again, my original post was a "suggestion" but my recent post (which was merged) was actually looking to see where I can edit xenforo to disable this?
I have kept this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/project.php?issueid=11094 to disable this stuff on VB.
I need a similar edit to do the same for xF.

Mods and Admins...
You have no idea how important this feature is to your smaller board audiences.
The biggest kicker is this has got to be the easiest "tweak" to build...
But this has even fallen on deaf ears at VB.
I really hope someone is listening here.

As my most recent post attempted to do...

A perfect "real example"...

I would like to "watch" the Add-Ons forum.
I would like to get an email with every posting....

Knowing I might not be interested in every add-on...
I would like to continue getting an email, even if I don't visit for the very reason posted above...

This really is critical for me.

Top Bottom