1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] Member Map

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Tim, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim Active Member

VBulletin.org had a mod called VBGooglemap ME that I had installed on my forum, it was flaky at best and just stopped working for me one day. My members LOVED it, it was a visual reference so they could find fellow bikers close to them for setting up rides and so forth.

It's been close to two years since this feature has worked on my site and I still get requests for a member map. I think integrating a map feature would be a great addition to xenForo. Me personally, I would just like a city listing, putting in an actual address would be to much and get into privacy issues.

Anyway, throwing that out here for consideration.

regards,

Tim

Steve10, Diablotic, Cip and 7 others like this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if you're aware Tim, but if you click on the location in your member card, it opens a Google Maps tab.

It's not exactly what you mean but it is a start and could be used on the Pages feature quite easily.

JamesM and Anth like this.
  3. Anth

Anth Member

I hadn't noticed that. Me likey! =)

4. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

I agree, a decent member map (that works) would be a good add on. In the end I made my own for my vB forum (here) which takes the lat/long from custom profile fields - if the member entered that info - and plots it on a googlemap. You can also do a similar thing plotting a membermap from general location info (City, town etc) using the various APIs if you really get into it.

Anyway the point being, if I can manage to do this with my limited experience then I'm sure an experienced coder could do a much better, slicker job.

Tim likes this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I like the idea.

A lot of people will probably scream "this should be a mod!" because it's never been considered a core piece of forum software...but with the social networking approach that XF is taking, I think this would be an excellent thing to include. There's a lot of cool functionality you could put in this - ie: not a member map based only on your profile location but perhaps one showing all online users based on their IP address...with all necessary privacy settings included, of course.

6. Tim

Tim Active Member

Hey Brogan, I didn't know that feature was there, very cool.

I'm not a coder so your easy maybe much different then mine. :)

EQnoble likes this.
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Glad to help, XF is full of little hidden gems like that :)

Haha, I doubt it.
    My "skills" amount to some basic HTML and CSS and that's about it...:oops:

8. Tim

Tim Active Member

Then hopefully it's easy for the xenForo masters. I think this could be a great addition to set xenForo apart from the others.

9. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

this is a good idea considering users would be opting in if they decide to provide their location details.

10. Sagar

Sagar Active Member

Yet another vote. I have this on my ipb forums and members love it.

11. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Voting no, it should not be a standard feature of the product. Someone can always knock up an add-on to have the functionality available for those who want it.

12. Tim

Tim Active Member

I require a zip code for a weather module I have on my site.

13. Defqon

Defqon Member

14. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I really like this idea, but not as a core feature.

15. Tim

Tim Active Member

Why not a core feature?

16. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Because I believe in the same goal that Kier and Mike have for XenForo - keep the core product as light as possible, while building a strong, stable framework for add-ons and modifications.

17. Tim

Tim Active Member

Gotcha, thanks.

18. JamesM

JamesM Member

I've never noticed it before, i like.

19. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

I was just about to post this. Search works well! lol

Id love to have this. Just take all the 'location' addresses in the xF table that stores them and plop them all on a map the same way xF does now. Im sure it can use most of the same code xF has already. This shouldnt be too hard.

The8thLegion likes this.
  20. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Are there any maps that do this yet in XenForo?