[Suggestion] Member info beside each post

Shanj

I think something just changed? because now beside each post the member's info appears with the kind of stuff that appears on their Card.

This is a nice idea but it is also space greedy.
Right now we have a long column of info on the left which leaves a huge amount of space for the message. Most messages are only a few lines often only one so this means masses of unnecessary scrolling to get through empty spaces.

One possible solution might be to have the extra info on a dropdown link "Info about"

Another might be to place the numbers for no. of Likes etc on the same line
and close up the spacing to single space like the mockup pic
- I managed to halve the size of the text info.

Pic is a bit messy but if consistently sized would look fine.xf memberinfo.webp

Upvote 0
Hi

You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time

Regards

Dereck

Hi You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time
Regards
Dereck

Dereck it's seriously unclear how this helps resolve this particular problem. It gives no information about the design issues concerned.

In these Suggestions forums it is understood that different users have different needs.
What the discussions then try to identify is how much one person's experience represents enough others to make a proposal worth considering be the XF team. If lots of people Like it or comment approvingly then the team know to put it on their list to consider. If it gets little attention or is argued strongly against, the reverse.

Your post merely says that people have different needs which is a waste of time to readers in this particular type of forum where that is obvious.

That looks like the Kitchen Sink style. Use the Style Chooser to switch back to the default style.

Ooooohhh lol, it is a different style, no wonder I wasn't seeing what Shanj was seeing :p Thanks for pointing it out Sandman.

*switches, tries it, shudders - switches back as fast as possible*

erm.. Nope not for me!

Ooooohhh lol, it is a different style, no wonder I wasn't seeing what Shanj was seeing :p Thanks for pointing it out Sandman.

tiphat.gif

That looks like the Kitchen Sink style. Use the Style Chooser to switch back to the default style.

Sandman thank you that's very helpful for me personally.

But that leaves the general impact still. Your solution is not at all obvious to another user.

Could the design not be compacted as I showed
OR have a link to collapse/ expand it, at the point of use?

I would assume it is just a demonstration with all the options on Shanj, you will probably be able to set it up how you like when it's on your forums :)

Actually I'm still lost (and thinking others will be too) - it's not obvious where Style Chooser is.

It's really startng to feel uncomfortable not seeing the admincp at least some screenshoots
as we can easily be asking about stiff which is covered like setting the default style as the default so people don't see this example here unless they switch.

Dereck it's seriously unclear how this helps resolve this particular problem. It gives no information about the design issues concerned.

Hi Shanji

There is no problem, the info panel looks great, I was commenting on how this forum is.

Half the members here whinge about something, so Kier programmes in a fantatstic feature to please them, then the other half of the members whinge he didn't do it properly

Regards

Dereck

Actually I'm still lost (and thinking others will be too) - it's not obvious where Style Chooser is.

It's really startng to feel uncomfortable not seeing the admincp at least some screenshoots
as we can easily be asking about stiff which is covered like setting the default style as the default so people don't see this example here unless they switch.

Bottom left of the page Shanj...

style_chooser.webp

The Style Chooser is at the bottom of each page, just above the copyright. You simply click on the name of the current style (which is the only one displayed until you click) to bring up the Chooser.

Simplicity can be complicated to the uninitiated. :D

Hi Shanji
There is no problem, the info panel looks great, I was commenting on how this forum is.

Sorry - ambiguous.

Half the members here whinge about something, so Kier programmes in a fantatstic feature to please them, then the other half of the members whinge he didn't do it properly

Well sometimes it's a clearer maority than that or else the whinges throw up some useful stuff to adapt and edit.
But yes us humans are a very varied lot. Sometimes that's fun and sometimes exasperating.

OK guys I got it. Thank you.
But how is someone to guess that?
Plus anyway I don't want to scroll all down to bottom / change style/ then go back up to the post I was reading ...

And if the page is in Default style how is someone to know they can have all that info available on the posts?
So still say better to have Expand info/ Collapse info link under each member's avatar.

Maybe put up a tutorial on your forums about changing the theme, and that some themes offer more in terms of information about the poster :)

So still say better to have Expand info/ Collapse info link under each member's avatar.
They've gone one better than that, you just click on the avatar itself.

Much better than cluttering up the clean look that currently exists.

For those that want more then the style system is fully customisable.

Maybe put up a tutorial on your forums about changing the theme, and that some themes offer more in terms of information about the poster :)

OK Dragonfly but I'm already going to have to modify so much. That's always an option but suggestions here are redally about asking for options in the admincp or in the frontend.

Top Bottom