Lack of interest [Suggestion] Maximum amount of users online

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

soloarquitectura

Is there any way to see the maximum amount of users online and the day it happened?
It is a feature much appreciated by my users.
They love to know when the record was achieved.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It is very easy to add this implementation.
I want only know if is planned or not, otherwise i will mod my board by myself to add this stat that is important for me to monitoring the site evolution.

We've actually been waiting to see how long it would be until someone commented that we don't have that.

Three months. I guess people don't really miss it eh?

I know I've seen it brought up before, but I'm too lazy to try searching for it.

We've actually been waiting to see how long it would be until someone commented that we don't have that.

I know you are so excited because of this new adventure and this very good project.
I think XenForo is really the future, but i think that is good idea to remember to not take yourself too seriously.

One downside of this stat is that it can work against you. If the record is created by an abnormal spike in traffic then you'll always look as if your forum is going downhill when the most on-line was a year or two ago and you're nowhere near close now.

It really means nothing because of the way it is compiled, when a spam bot attack causes 200 "guests" to show up as activity it shows the "value" of this module (none), it is the same thing as looking at a fake who's online list pumped up by a cookie time out set for six hours, showing members online who have not been on the forum for 5 hours.

It's all bots in the number.. I use to Tweet forums, and they would always have there top most online {these were forums with say 10+ users on usually}, and make there top numbers of 50. Was quite funny ;)

Caleb

One downside of this stat is that it can work against you. If the record is created by an abnormal spike in traffic then you'll always look as if your forum is going downhill when the most on-line was a year or two ago and you're nowhere near close now.

I don't agree. I have many boards vb ipb and smf. One of these (the older IPB) is in the big board chart with 2,118,079 post and about 1,400 users usually online.
This board is increased in the time causing me many problems. At the beginning it was simply hosting, later i had to move to a shared server and currently it need a full dedicated server.
During all this period i fight with system resources having too many connection errors in mysql and overload of apache server. So it have been really important for me to check the statistics about user on line to understand the peaks and days (like for example on monday about 15.30 o'clock we have often the server overloaded). The record of users on line is increasing again about one time at week and this is most important for me to understand the resources issues than post numbers or members registered. This statistic togheter with "user have visited today" help me to understand the progression and the days of higher traffic without the need of specific software.
Currently i am starting a new board with XenForo. But i suspect that XenForo use a large amount of resources so i want to follow the board increasing looking at the progression of most users online in comparaison with hosting performance.
But ok i understand that this is only my point of view.
No prob i am an older CMS and board coder i will add by myself. I prefer to not mod the boards because of the update. But if this is not in plan i can code by myself easly.

For me, I don't think it particularly makes much difference to a forum user. I mean, how many people look at this statistic when joining a forum? It might be useful in the ACP.

I just thought it would be included in the final release, I've always had this feature, I like it.

Remember, the dev's can't give you a duplicate copy of vB3, they must innovate folks.
Yup, which is why it should be the leanest, meanist forum software in the west! ;)

For pretty obvious legal reasons, I would doubt there is a line, ney, a word of vB in XenForo. I see IB have already tried the legal route with XenForo, what a bunch of idiots.

People have this idea that this feature works against them; and that bots take up that number. I see differently, I gauge a website's popularity by this "most users ever online" stat when I buy websites.

Its like for a halo niche website, I saw 1,000 people logged in at a single time, that tells me that the site was popular. That tells me that the site has a strong pull. I see the same thing for a networked forum... especially if that forum consistently brings in at least that much, and then some.

With xenForo, I don't know this. So, I never pay attention to any xenforo forums that have a lot of members and posts. That is, if I happen to be on the market for a large board with xenforo on it.

This is why I never launch my sites with any other free forums, because they don't record this stat.

You said "or any other free forums, because they don't record this stat."

I was just correcting your mistake.

Top Bottom