[Suggestion] Make the TinyMCE editor and post body the same width in the advanced view

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The TinyMCE editor below the thread is the same width as the post body.

Is there any chance the same can be done for the editor and post preview when in the advanced reply view/thread creation view so we can see exactly how the post will appear?

They're both much narrower than a normal post at the moment.

Is there a reason for that?

Upvote 3
A post is wide, so should be the editor.
The biggest issue I had with vB's wysiwyg editor is that it is was small, too small. You had no overview of your content you were writing.

I always loved that editor, but I always hated how it looked different width in every page, It should be the same everywhere, or exceptions, the width of the block it's in. Like inline edit for example.

Make the advanced editor wider, not the quick reply smaller. It's almost a reason for me to stop using XF just because it goes back to stupid small width.

+1 for making the advanced editor wider, maybe the same as the quick editor. That will be much better.

The biggest issue I had with vB's wysiwyg editor is that it is was small, too small. You had no overview of your content you were writing.

Me too, so I always make the editor 100% wide in ever style I add to my forum. That looks better in many ways.

I always prefer my editor to be exactly the same width as the page content.

This makes it easier to compose posts in which layout is important.

The quick reply editor is fine in this regard, the advanced editor isn't.
Although I say advanced, all it seems to have in addition are 2 options for subscribing to the thread and receiving emails.

The form has been made wider, BTW. But I think this would end up creating a big inconsistency with the rest of the elements in that form (or any form really). There's a specified width on the form that everything adheres to, so it would be strange to have 1 field busting out of that.

Quick reply is really the outlier to that.

Is the post body preview the same width as a normal post?

Edit: I see it isn't. A post is 796px wide, the preview is only 730px wide. That will make it very difficult to format new threads accurately.

A post is not a guaranteed width (at least if you're not using a fixed width style), plus there are browser differences to consider, so you can't generally rely on that anyway.

I use fixed width on my forum precisely because I want to control how the content appears.
Having an editor which doesn't match the post body width doesn't make much sense to me as it makes it difficult to judge the final layout.

No problem though, I will just edit the template to make it match :)

For all people frustrated ;) by the tiny sized 'Advanced' editor of XenForo, please support my suggestion overhere and see if these points make sense to you. It will solve most, if not all issues we have now or may experience with the Advanced Editor of XenForo, IMHO.

Top Bottom