Lack of interest [Suggestion] Limit Profile Conversations

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Vilandra

I couldn't find anything to say if there WAS a limit already, so if there is, my apologies. :)

But on my larger site I have had to disable what they call "visitor messages" in part because there was no way to limit them and people were using them like private messages. I'd like to suggest an (optional) way to limit the number of conversations that can be kept on the profile, similar to the way private message numbers are limited per usergroup.

Just my 11 cents.

:)

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
lol my staff has better things to do than read 100s of pages of visitor messages per person of conversations that should be done via pm.

It's great that you haven't had problems with it, but I have. So I need a way to steer people towards using visitor messages for their intended purpose, and to take the private conversations to private conversations.

:)

I consider it part of the function of a moderator, moderate content, and social profiles is another one that produces content. But hey, we all run our sites differently of course. I have no problem with my members communicating socially on the site. Better on my site, than on facebook. We want to grow a community, not push users away.

Well I want people spending time on my site using it to the purpose for which it was created - it's not a commercial thing to me, I don't want people sitting around all day playing games. On smaller, less active sites it's not a problem - you can let people leave comments cause it doesn't get abused. But on my bigger site it has created problems - I've been there and seen it happen.And I'm sorry, but it is a huge waste of resources to have a moderator sit around reading profile pages all day long every day, which is what they would have to do to cover all of the comments that were posted on my site when I had then enabled. It's not like it was one comments per person per day. It shouldn't be used as an instant messenger in my opinion.

But I've stated my case and in the end it's not up to you or me what the people in charge want to do.

I understand :) And agree to a point. However, I do believe that the "extras" that a site can offer does lead to a more active community, and that means more users who feel more part of a community, and that leads to them coming back more often, en participating in real discussions (threads and alike). But it does not matter. I think a site owner can make that decision for their site, and could just turn off the permission so there's no commenting on profiles by members.

Yeah, well, like I said - it's fine on some forums and not on others. So if it was an option, that would be perfect (for me) :) Cause I do like the feature, I just happen to have one forum where it's not used the way it's meant to be, unfortunately.

If I understand the suggestion correctly, you want to be able to limit the number of visitor messages to 10 (as an example)? As opposed to turning off the visitor messages completely?

If so, it really does sound like a fairly unique situation, and might be able to be done with a mod.

That is correct. :) And fair enough, if it's not something useful to the masses. Just something I wish vb had that it doesn't. :)

I still don't agree to limiting it to x comments per usergroup posting per usergroup who's profile it is. Either allow it or not, and let the user decide who can comment (everybody or friends (or mods)).

I still don't agree to limiting it to x comments per usergroup posting per usergroup who's profile it is. Either allow it or not, and let the user decide who can comment (everybody or friends (or mods)).

I agree limiting VMs to the 'X' most recent comments. I have limited my community to friends only, and I have lost members, due to, the fact that the site is restrictive.

I don't think I said anything about per usergroup?

Top Bottom