Lack of interest [Suggestion] Like Generator During Import [Not a Like Importer]

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

The Sandman

Since many if not most of us intend to upgrade existing forums to XenForo, it would be nice if there was a way to assign "like counts" to the existing members based on post count, time registered, and perhaps reputation. Otherwise all members would be starting with zero likes and trophies, which would be kind of weird on a large, well established forum.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree, this is a very good point. After import, even your most senior members would appear "new". I don't know if this would bother the membership on a newly imported xenForo forum, but I think it might.

You could probably accomplish this with some straight database queries to update users' trophy points. If your calculations to generate trophy scores are too complicated, you could do it with a one-off script fairly easily. All of this I would do after importing. My $0.02.

Since many if not most of us intend to upgrade existing forums to XenForo, it would be nice if there was a way to assign "like counts" to the existing members based on post count, time registered, and perhaps reputation. Otherwise all members would be starting with zero likes and trophies, which would be kind of weird on a large, well established forum.
I would definitely welcome that. I think it would certainly ease the pain of the conversion (upgrade) ;)

I'm still in doubt if reputation points should be imported as likes, as it's clearly not the same. Maybe starting on a clean slate isn't so bad?

vB Thanks could probably be imported as likes... I can't see it being officially developed though.
Thanks/Like mods = Likes on XenForo. Reputation doesn't amount to likes IMO. I might like someone's post then see another post of theirs and think "what an idiot", hence why it's a little more complicated.

I'm still in doubt if reputation points should be imported as likes, as it's clearly not the same. Maybe starting on a clean slate isn't so bad?

May not seem bad to you as the admin, but the active members may see it differently.

vB Thanks could probably be imported as likes... I can't see it being officially developed though.
Thanks/Like mods = Likes on XenForo. Reputation doesn't amount to likes IMO. I might like someone's post then see another post of theirs and think "what an idiot", hence why it's a little more complicated.

This was specified not to be a like importer, meaning it's not intended to process data from modifications. This is meant to take the data that all existing forums have by default and process it into a baseline like and trophy count for established members. Of course it won't be perfect, but I'd settle for workable. :D

May not seem bad to you as the admin, but the active members may see it differently.
Oh you don't have to convince me of that, I did a reset once and it was a shock, some even left the site if you can believe that. Still, if you're going to drop reputation anyway you might as well start clean, otherwise your new system is already 'infected' with the reputation points.

Trophies are rewarded automatically. So not needed. But you can't "force" likes, right? How can you tell the system another user liked something? unless there's existing data, - while other forum software by default only has at most reputation points for a post.

Trophies are rewarded automatically. So not needed. But you can't "force" likes, right? How can you tell the system another user liked something? unless there's existing data, - while other forum software by default only has at most reputation points for a post.

Trophies aren't rewarded automatically unless there are likes. You can generate likes (hence the title of my thread) by with an arbitrary, admin defined formula using post count, time registered, and perhaps reputation. Let's say I define my formula as (post count divided by 10) times the number of years registered. Or, the (post count divided by 100) times the number of months registered. This would be a way to estimate the number of likes each member would have gotten. This is obviously an artificial number, but it's better than starting out with established members having zero likes and trophies, same as a fresh newbie.

Trophies are also awarded by post count. Once the cron job for trophies has run, members who have visited recently will have their trophy points updated to reflect posting milestones.

Trophies are also awarded by post count. Once the cron job for trophies has run, members who have visited recently will have their trophy points updated to reflect posting milestones.

Oops - of course established members would get some trophy action based on their post count.
bonk.gif
But I still would consider a like generator to be a beneficial option. Yes, the likes it generates would be arbitrary, but for that matter so is having everyone start with zero likes.

It should be fairly easy to write a script to calculate the number of likes based on certain criteria from the existing forum database and then apply them to the new XF database.

They would essentially be artificial, phantom likes though, not linked to a post or comment anywhere.

I'd rather have likes reset than have non-linking likes. Hence why modifications that allow post-liking/thanking should be imported instead.

Only way I would like this to be integrated would be to take positive reputation on a post and turn it into a like by the giving user.

The problem with this is the fact that the likes wouldn't be attached to any content. If something happened and you had to rebuild like counts members would lose all the likes that were generated upon converting.

I think it would be better to just give you the option to convert positive reputation into likes when converting from vB than to generate likes that aren't attached to any content.

Top Bottom