Lack of interest [Suggestion] Integrated Classifieds/Auctions

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

dssart

My community is built up around my classifieds section of my forum. Would really like to see an integrated classifieds within Xenforo. I'm currently using VBClassifieds, which gets the job done but no longer is supported. I'm currently a VBulletin owner, and would REALLY like to leave that scene but I'd need something like this to get me to leave.

I think classified and buy/sell in general are terrific traffic builders. My members love the auctions and it's one of the more popular sections of my forum.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It makes no sense having this integrated into XF. XF should be a forum product and just a forum product. If 3rd parties want to develop add-ons to add functionality into XF then all the good.

But we don't need bloatware...

Integration is fine - what I wouldn't like to see is it becoming part of XF.

You don't need a forum that contains loads of things that aren't forum related.

Sure have official addons and sell them as a pack - that's cool, but don't do it so that it comes with a CMS by default. One reason I hate VB so much, I had the blog add-on which with VB became part of the CMS package. I don't want the CMS package so was faced with loosing the blogs if I upgraded to 4, unless I bought the CMS pack which I didn't want to.

Keep XF as the core and anything else as optional add-ons.

@ MGSteve, why the rather flat dismissal of classified when on many large professional boards it is as busy if not busier than the main discussion sections. I thought XF is touting itself as a serious new competitor on the scene? As stated it is a good traffic builder. VB allows for drop-down selectable thread pre-fixes. At a minimum XF should have that

If we can have custom thread fields by forum then with a little logic and some templating you can have classifieds or anything else you want.

@ MGSteve, why the rather flat dismissal of classified when on many large professional boards it is as busy if not busier than the main discussion sections. I thought XF is touting itself as a serious new competitor on the scene? As stated it is a good traffic builder. VB allows for drop-down selectable thread pre-fixes. At a minimum XF should have that

However, many forum owners may never use the classified ads/auction. I know many websites that have it and use it on a regular basis, but I see more boards that don't even use it and still have high traffic. Just because you have an auction/classifieds doesn't mean that your site will get more traffic. It mainly depends on your site's content in the first place to get them in.
An addon/mod would be better and allows people to choose if they want/need it.

(PS: I do like auction/classified, and do use it on 1 of my sites, but I don't think it needs to be part of the core.)

Should this be moved to the MOD request forum ?
No one thinks it should be a CORE function of xenforo.
Quite clearly some people think it should be in the core, or they wouldn't have posted to say as much.

As I posted on your other thread, anyone is free to suggest anything as core functionality.
Ultimately it will be up to Mike and Kier what is included.

If they decide not to include it then an add-on request can be made.

My community is built up around my classifieds section of my forum. Would really like to see an integrated classifieds within Xenforo. I'm currently using VBClassifieds, which gets the job done but no longer is supported.

Were you expecting a nice Plugin like VBClassifieds ? or were you thinking that xenforo would eventually ship with a VBClassifieds-type option as a part of the default xenforo installation ?

I think classified and buy/sell in general are terrific traffic builders. My members love the auctions and it's one of the more popular sections of my forum.

Sure can be !

Good point Netsultants. Actually I'd like to see this in the core as well.
I'd like a Blog, Classifieds, CMS, Gallery, Twitter and Facebook integration, Wiki, Arcade, Shopping Cart, Newsletter, Groups, Instant Messaging, Chat (IRC and non-IRC), HelpDesk, Ticket Support and Knowledgebase all with Toggle off Functionality. And I want this: in 1 week. And with no price increase.

I'm sure many large boards do, however many other boards don't. At the end of the day why pay for something that you don't want!

XF as a core product should be forums only. They can then have addons to add the additional functionality if they want it.

Remember the old saying - "Jack of all trades, master of none." You don't want XF to be described as the jack of all trades because its got a gallery, cms, blog, classifieds, auction all built in, do you?

Focus is important and they need to focus on getting XF up to standard ASAP and not be distracted by developing extra functionality that isn't required for a forum product.

Apologies for the late reply and bump, but you know how it is :p

I was not flat-out promoting dedicated classified functionality, as I say even allowing for something small like user selectable thread pre-fixes to be toggled on/off for a particular section by admin is adequate in itself. This developer forum seems to be prevalent with a "no no no, I want bare minimalistic, I don't even want a selectable option to be built into the software dismissive attitude". Incredibly frustrating. Do people expect site owners to just spend a fortune on coders to build basic things?

Anyway it is moot as I know my site owner has enrolled one of the main XF team for specific work

This developer forum seems to be prevalent with a "no no no, I want bare minimalistic, I don't even want a selectable option to be built into the software dismissive attitude". Incredibly frustrating.
There are lots of "Forum Only" people here.
Too much vBulletin thinking I think !
Do people expect site owners to just spend a fortune on coders to build basic things?
I think a solid classifieds, auctions Addon will come and it will be reasonably priced.

There are lots of "Forum Only" people here.
Too much vBulletin thinking I think !
Not sure quite how to take that! lol

vB, IMO got a bit OTT with features. (Acronym overload). Keeping the forum lean and mean is the best way to go, other things like galleries, classifieds etc.. can then be added in afterwards by the customer if they want them, even if they're XF products.

I think there are an odd number of people who think a forum is a website.
I think it comes from the fact that they've run Forum Only sites for a long time.

Top Bottom