1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Information: Post not available.

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Shamil, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

When a permalink to a specific post is used, and the post is no longer available, I think it would be wise to tell the user that the post is no longer available.

It saves the confusion of not knowing what's happening when someone links to a post that's not available.

Someone sent me a message pertinent to a post - I assume I made this post, due to the tone. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out for the hell of me, what post this was.
    Lojo likes this.
  2. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

XenForo Community - Error

The requested thread could not be found.

I get this for a 404!
  3. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Post not thread.
  4. OperaManiac

well posts are part of a thread! so if a post is missing, the thread containing it is missing too!

i need some more info on what exactly you are trying to say ;P
  5. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I am talking about a specific post which has been removed to whatever from a thread. If someone uses the permalink of the removed post to go to it, they just end up at the thread screen, at the top.
  6. OperaManiac

well the message is sort of accurate. though i believe xenforo backend should allow you to modify it as per your own needs!
  7. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

There is no message - since the anchor hook doesn't exist :/
  8. OperaManiac

ok so what do you see? can you post a screenshot?
  9. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I just see the thread. There is no message. Just the thread in which that removed post was a part of.
  10. OperaManiac

ahah. i got you know.

since the post has disappeared. but the thread still exists. you land on the thread. at the top of it.

i guess there is no logical solution for it. other than using the proper shortlinks. which the developers are not going to use as discussed here.

you can have two ways to link to a post...

the default one is accessible from down below. which would result in a problem that you have posted.

and the other one which should probably show a proper error.

here is a sample dead post... that would show the correct message: http://xenforo.com/community/posts/659910/
  11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Good :)

The thread could use conditionals, to show something, if the URI matched that of a removed post.
  12. OperaManiac

i really hope developers consider providing the proper permalink someplace in a post. i really hate the longer version of the link that would/could break.