Suggestion for an ebook reader

Markos

I want to have feedback about the "major" ebook reader in the market (Kindle, Sony Reader etc.). It's in your opinion the touch screen important (kindle = no touch screen). For reading a novel it's important the size of the screen? Please post your feedback (if you have an ebook reader and how you use it...).

Just bought the wife a Nook color. Went with this over other readers because of its flexibility and the fact that I could easily put books on it that don't come from traditional sources. And by that I mean that I had a large number of books destroyed from water damage so I'm using torrents to download copies. I don't normally like to torrent things, but I've already paid for these so I don't feel (too) guilty.

It's a bit pricier than other options but it also allows for surfing the web, running apps, etc. Kindle just can't do that.

I did a lot of research - 7" readers. I think we're one generation away from a good one for a "power user" who wants something more than the most basic of readers. The Barnes and Noble readers are nice but fail:

1) Nook Color - Nice unit. However no button to turn pages and 1 handed reading is challenging (also heavy.) Also has no audio input making Skype not possible. For $250 you get only a reader that can be rooted as an Android tablet but limited (also no landscape.) For that money you're better off spending just a little more and getting a first generation tablet that can do these things, is lighter and at least has audio.

2) Nook B&W ereader: IMHO, if you're looking just to read, this is a much more cost effective device. It also doesn't do landscape, has no audio at all (weird since audio books would be out) and a few other limitations. But if all you want to do is just read, this is a better buy at half the price.

3) No-name 7" tablets: Don't bother. They are all not worth the investment for a variety of reasons.

4) Acer 7": Price dropped to $300 but is oddly made. A bit too heavy, camera on side not in middle (go figure) and a couple of other oddities. It will work but, again, for this price, wait until next generation coming out.

5) Asus 7": The better of the two than the Acer. However, it has all proprietary ports and has a lower build quality. Requires an adapter to plug in the wall and charge, AFAIK there is no USB charging with this device.

6) Dell 7": Resolution is too low. Not worth it.

7) Samsung Galaxy: I've heard the price will drop on this one. If it does, I'd say that it's worth getting above all the others at the moment.

Currently, I think the most open ebook reader is the Kobo Touch. My mom just recently got one and hasn't had any issues with it.

Honestly though, if I were to replace my current ereader, I'd probably just get a full blown tablet so I have more options in what I can do, and a less restricted environment.

I have a kindle and have bought a few as gifts. Everyone I know loves it. Also have bought the last gen nook and its much heavier and would not recommend it over the kindle. The new touchscreen nook is a big improvement but I found it too small. I would play with it and see how it feels in your hand.

Also allegedly new kindle next month so prices might be dropping soon on last gen or the new one might be worth whatever.

I want to have feedback about the "major" ebook reader in the market (Kindle, Sony Reader etc.). It's in your opinion the touch screen important (kindle = no touch screen). For reading a novel it's important the size of the screen? Please post your feedback (if you have an ebook reader and how you use it...).
I bought a Nook Color and I am going to install android.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/bought-anything-lately.18395/

You can even dual boot this ... so use it as an ebook reader .... or boot to android to play angry birds :)

Ok, if you are looking for ebook you should buy a nook. I bought the old nook and it still looks and works great. I can see the pages clear I can also easily highlight sentence and find words in the dictionary. Now, If you are looking for something more than ebook maybe internet browsing and games (you know where to go!!) go apple !! buy an Ipad

Top Bottom