Lack of interest Suggestion: Featured Threads option for home page

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

ibrian

I know there have been periodic requests for some form of XF portal and Wordpress bridges.

However, rather than ask for a full-blown portal, I'd like to make a request for XF to include in its core the option to set up Featured Threads which could be set up on the forum homepage.

This way, forum admins would have the option to feature their best material in a blog-like manner, while still working within the XF framework.

We already have tags - additionally styling to make it more like a news or dedicated blog site could then be left to developers according to admin preference.

I'm not sure what the coding requirements might be - I would imagine it would require a lot less than setting up a standalone section to run alongside the forums.

I mention this because I have a few sites where I've run forums with a Wordpress frontend, but the trouble with running 2 systems together is that it ends up operating as 2 separate websites - forums, and blogs/news.

By having a Featured Thread functionality, it would allow the presentation of threads in a blog/news manner, while still ensuring all discussion happens as a natural part of the forums anyway.

I know Brogan released something like this for XF 1.5 (here - and it appears to be the most used resource), but with XF 2.0 on the way it would be good if we could see something like a Featured Threads option make it into XF 2.1 at least as an official feature.

Just a suggestion. :)

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Can you not use the Pages and widget system to pretty much do this now? All it's missing is a front end to it.

Make a mod/admin only Thread Field for "featured" and have the widget pull those threads. It seems like it's almost trivial thanks to the widget system.

Top Bottom