Implemented [Suggestion] Exclude Forums from Search

Onimua

It would be handy to be able to exclude forums from general search (maybe provide a checkbox to "include forums not included by default") so that certain threads do not come up.

If not the above specifically, being able to prevent them from showing up on What's New? would be helpful. For example right now I'm trying to catch up on threads but I get my search flooded with results from the test forum (useless items). To get around this I have to mark the forum read and then look at the new content which is a little cumbersome.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I mentioned this in my 'Few suggestion' posts to filter out forums that would just be spam to some users (Test forum for one).

I think it would be a good idea to exclude threads from the Test Messages forum when we view the What's New results page.

There will need to be a note in the What's New results page indicating the Test Messages forum threads are excluded.

This will be a problem that exists on many sites. This is one of the few instances where I think it makes sense to have a usercp option added - an 'opt out of forum' option from within the usercp for the Whats New.

This will be a problem that exists on many sites. This is one of the few instances where I think it makes sense to have a usercp option added - an 'opt out of forum' option from within the usercp for the Whats New.

I created a plugin with that option and it was used by a total of five members out of over 1,000 active members. You have to remember that most members just like to keeps things simple.

I've been thinking of adding this with a little extra bonus related feature to go with it.

can a similar thing be done when I do operate my very own Forum in 2 languages ?
Like operating a Forum in both english and german-language, having a few Forum-categories in english and a few forum-categories in german-language.

So having "Whats New" with german-language-categories only show-up when being at the german-language-interface ?

In the advance search you can specify which forums you want to search now.

Is that what you are asking about? That was what the original request was for, then people started typing things about "exclude from What's New".

Ah, yes - I was talking about a permanent exclusion feature where you can select certain forums to not show up in any of your searches. In our previous forums this was in the UCP as a multi-select.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I'd want to be able to toggle the forums on and off relatively easily.
Opting out wouldn't be a permanent thing.
Here I might Opt out of "Off Topic" at times.
but Later would want to have access to it.

I fully agree with you. This is a must for big boards, especially if they are covering some area which has a lot of sub sections. Imagine coding site with ASP, PHP, JAVA, C, C#, etc... and I'm only PHP programer.

Look for http://www.skyscrapercity.com, right now they had following numbers Threads: 624,385, Posts: 38,767,976, Members: 458,270, I'm interested in one particular part of forum but when I choose New posts I got 1000 posts and only 7 is from forums I'm interested. So that function is completely useless for me and I'm going directly to forums I'm interest in and I'm checking manually for new posts.

I think that such functionality well coded with good usability will be key differentiator for XenForo and will be a one of key points to migrate to XenForo. Users can personalize forum for their needs and they will love it.

If you allow them two options it will be even better. First option to exclude forum completely so user on Index page will see only forums interesting for them and second option from this remaining forums user can exclude forums he doesn't want to see in "What's New".

Of course user should be able to switch forum off and on. For example on coding site. I'm PHP coder but there is a need to code in JAVA. I'm switching on JAVA forum and looking for JAVA knowledge from that forum.

If you will add that functionality I'm buying XenForo immediately..... and wait for PhpBB3 or IBP converter ;)

Top Bottom