[Suggestion] Embedded Video limit

Shadab

And while we are at it, I'd suggest a limit on the number of embedded videos per post. :)
Anything between 5 and 10 would be fine.

Plus an admin option to rebuild posts, in case the setting does not apply retroactively; which shall render the extra media tags as plain links to the respective video pages. Suppose a limit of 15 media tags is placed, per post, then the 16th media tag:
Code:
[media=youtube]1HtCquBppTc[/media]
would be rendered in the post as a plain link:

Upvote 6
And while we are at it, I'd suggest a limit on the number of embedded videos per post. :)
Anything between 5 and 10 would be fine.

Plus an admin option to rebuild posts, in case the setting does not apply retroactively; which shall render the extra media tags as plain links to the respective video pages. Suppose a limit of 15 media tags is placed, per post, then the 16th media tag:
Code:
[media=youtube]1HtCquBppTc[/media]
would be rendered in the post as a plain link:

awesome idea +1 but maybe add that into the permissions as a per user thing after general group permissions, be able to limit the person who overuses it but hasn't really done anything to warrant a warning or action. This may also keep the need to actually notify someone lower which in my experience, if someone thinks they are doing nothing wrong and gets chided, it leaves a foul taste in their mouth, where as this way they would have to initiate communication with mods or admin to lift the # of instances / level of depth they can nest, so there will be no excuse for forgetting a rule. Those who want ability can request and trade their explanation of need for respectful use of privileges.

example...

new user : one instance per tag per post ( self explanatory )
contributor : Unlimited ( for the simple reason that most contributors don't have that big of an issue with procedure and can exhibit control )
abuser: no bbcode usage ( for users that need to be shown that action will be taken and stop playing around )

quote - allow unlimited , anywhwere
video - allow one instance per post , allow locations (specify), allow newusers, members (higher limits for users or groups you know are responsible)

this may be frivolous but I see potential for this concept

This is an excellent suggestion. In addition to limiting the number of videos per post, it would be also useful to limit the number of embedded videos per thread.

Try embedding 25 videos in a thread (all on the same page). What will happen is the thread page will take a very long time to load and sometimes causes the browser to lock up.

Try embedding 25 videos in a thread (all on the same page). What will happen is the thread page will take a very long time to load and sometimes causes the browser to lock up.
Yeah, we often have the same problem with hotlinked pictures. I sometimes have to place them in spoilers tags just because they make loading the thread page almost impossible.

Yeah, we often have the same problem with hot linked pictures. I sometimes have to place them in spoilers tags just because they make loading the thread page almost impossible.

I wrote a plugin which converts all hot linked images to attachments. This is done as soon as the post is saved. I've been meaning to ask if that would be a feature xenForo would incorporate.

The only problem with that is that it can take a lot of space on the server, but it sounds like a great feature if disk space isn't an issue. Also extra bandwidth use of course.

This is why I edited my templates in vB and which I plan on implementing when I grab XF and decided to go with flowplayer which I found out about poking around jquery demos and used a couple edits with a bbcode to add to the pages playlist. But the playlist doesn't prebuffer anything except the first video called with [fp] and even so it's one instance of the player on the page ... anywhere you set it in the template, when you click a link made from the bbcode in a post it calls that video into the player (I use a version this privately now if you would like to see an example contact me privately somehow and I will give you access credentials, just please respect my wishes to keep my personal site non-publicly disclosed:) ) It may need a tiny bit of work to be implemented in an active forum but it would be as simple as modifying the link the bbcode displays to not only on click load but scroll to page top or where ever the video player element is added. It doesn't hurt to mention that jQ works great alongside fp.(pardon my abbreviations used to evade redundancy)

but maybe add that into the permissions as a per user thing after general group permissions
Cascading the permissions for a per-forum or per-user effect would be an added bonus.
(A good candidate for a mod! ;))

Although I can see a use-case for the per-forum permission... for example: limiting the live media bbcodes per post to 15 in the Off-Topic forum, 0 (Unlimited) in the Test Messages forum and 5 elsewhere.

@ Kurtz
do you think that this would be more easily accomplished for other issues that could arrive on this by making all bbcodes tie into user UG permission's.

Like when your building a bbcode ( i personally don't use other sites players ) or when you use the default (say the bbcode for displaying media since that's what were specifically talking about here) or any other bbcode for that matter...in my head I see it a lot easier to regulate who uses what by like you said using UG permissions but i'm thinking in the admin area a set of options as per this threads relation to this..

example bb code:
~all the standard info when creating a bb code
permissions:
can be used by: UG : Instances per thread : allowed forum cats
what do you think?

To link in with this, I think it'd be a wise idea to only allow one of the video to display. I've never encountered the problem but if you had:
Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]ID[/MEDIA]

It could become tiresome.

so a double permission? one for UG and one for forum/cats?
well i was thinking more along the lines of the permissions editor for bbcodes individually sit on the page you edit them from as far as , if they are stored with and in the same way as UG permissions thats just fine. But to do that would probably be a PITA and im not that versed in how this would actually work out as I have not seen anything I could base a way to implement that with and by profession i'm a carpenter not a coder, so i don't know that this can be done.

would it be easier if i made a mockup of what im thinking using the custom BBcode editor from vB to explain how I envision it ?
To link in with this, I think it'd be a wise idea to only allow one of the video to display. I've never encountered the problem but if you had:
Code:

It could become tiresome.
The only thing I have against this is you'll end up needing a youtube section in your forum if only one is allowed a thread as people will make a thread per video.

I do have a bbcode that works around it and uses one player and lets you select which video is loaded in the player by clicking links generated in the post. Also If another instance of the player is on that page and you click it all other instances of the player on that page just sit with a splash image saving on bandwidth and loading times. However i only can use videos currently from youtube ( the pluggin I have preserves their branding in my player), willing sites, and my own servers of course.

The only thing I have against this is you'll end up needing a youtube section in your forum if only one is allowed a thread as people will make a thread per video.

I do have a bbcode that works around it and uses one player and lets you select which video is loaded in the player by clicking links generated in the post. Also If another instance of the player is on that page and you click it all other instances of the player on that page just sit with a splash image saving on bandwidth and loading times. However i only can use videos currently from youtube ( the pluggin I have preserves their branding in my player), willing sites, and my own servers of course.

I don't mean only one video per thread, I mean prevent duplicates of the same video being posted in the same post. Some users love to just put the same video in a post 10 times, not realising page load speeds.

Top Bottom