Lack of interest [Suggestion] Custom profile restriction message

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's only a stupid example for a "custom message" in a restricted profile :)
The idea is to create a customized message to inform users why your profile is restricted, i think it's funny.

It's not a stupid example - it's exactly the way most if not all such custom messages would come across, because no matter how nicely you try to put it, it boils down to "you're not my friend, you can't see my profile".

I like the idea. I like the idea of users having more control over their profile in general. This can be linked with the word censor to make sure it isn't used in an abusive manner and it gives the user the feeling of having more profile control. It's definitely more social and personal than a generic message.

You can tell a lot from a few words... someone with "You cannot view my profile because I am not following you" sounds like a better person than someone who puts "Get off my profile, you're not worthy of seeing it".

I like the idea, but I think Admins should be the ones to create a few "restriction" messages that users can select from, to be displayed. I say this, because we all know from experience some members will abuse it to either include "spam" or inappropriate/insulting lines.

I like the idea, but I think Admins should be the ones to create a few "restriction" messages that users can select from, to be displayed. I say this, because we all know from experience some members will abuse it to either include "spam" or inappropriate/insulting lines.
I'm not one to bawl out this at every opportunity, but this is perhaps something that could be usergroup-based and can be included in the spam cleaner.

I completely understand your point of view and agree that users will inevitably use it for a purpose not intended. My response is quite simply that if we don't give our members the opportunity to be more mature, they will continue to be as they are now. They can't change without the tools to help them!

Mike did state that the error message on the profile was a temporary solution while they figured out what they wanted to do. So... we're definitely going to be seeing changes to that screen maybe this could be included?

I however don't see a point in error messages, don't really see WHY someone would need to explain why you can't see their profile, it's rather simple, "This profile is restricted to friends/members". I could see this as a modification however.

Mike did state that the error message on the profile was a temporary solution while they figured out what they wanted to do. So... we're definitely going to be seeing changes to that screen maybe this could be included?

I however don't see a point in error messages, don't really see WHY someone would need to explain why you can't see their profile, it's rather simple, "This profile is restricted to friends/members". I could see this as a modification however.
If we're not happy, we've got the wonderful phrase manager to change the phrases. I make a habit of changing error/permission messages to something that's more related to my forum base.

Custom error messages will probably be a modification originally and (hopefully) Kier and Mike will keep an eye on the modifications forum and convert the most installed modifications to core functionality!

Don't like it, I'm not for profile privacy anyway, but when enabled, I definitely think it's the admin who should be deciding what message is showed.

Yes! It's a good suggestion. For preventing abuses anothe solution can be to adds a "Report" link in the bottom of the restricted profile.

I see many uses for the custom message when disabling profile view, like: i'm on holiday (with a backgroud image of a sea, or montain
biggrin.png
), i'm inactive in this period for xxx, i have abandoned this forum (like a profile disactivation)...An admin can choice the custom messages utilizable. With this the community is informed that this user is away, you can't contact it etc.

Heh,

I have seen some extremely interesting thread tags on some other forums. :)

Top Bottom