Implemented [Suggestion] Change the Smilie Cache to sort by Title instead of Smilie_ID

Kevin

In the ACP the Smilies definitions are displayed alphabetically by their title and when viewing them on the Help page. When viewing the list of smilies from the editor they are instead displayed by their table ID instead.

To be consistent the suggestion is to change /Model/Smilie.php so that the query for getAllSmiliesForCache is ordered by 'title' instead of 'smilie_id' as current.

This would also allow us to group similarly themed smilies together based upon their name so that we could have a bit of control over how they are displayed in the editor.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I prefer it as it is as it allows me to order the smilies as I want, either by adding them to the DB in the correct order, or by manipulating the ID in the database.

I would hate them to be sorted by title in the editor.

I prefer it as it is as it allows me to order the smilies as I want, either by adding them to the DB in the correct order, or by manipulating the ID in the database.
Manually modifying the DB id directly is something that some admins might not want to play with. Presenting them the same way in all places is something that any admin could easily work worth with within the existing ACP screen.

I would hate them to be sorted by title in the editor.
And I hate that they are sorted by id in the editor. Two sides of every coin.

The current situation gives admins the option.
If you want them sorted by title just add them in the correct order.

Currently both you and I can sort them how we want.
If this suggestion was implemented only you would be able to sort them how you wanted.

The current situation gives admins the option.
If you want them sorted by title just add them in the correct order.
Except, of course, when they go to add new ones then their only option is to manually manipulate the DB ids.

Currently both you and I can sort them how we want.
If this suggestion was implemented only you would be able to sort them how you wanted.
Actually, no, I can't sort them how I want from within XF. I can do something ugly like manually modify table entries or manually edit the query code but not from within XF.

You don't need to manually edit the database. You can do it from within XF.

If you want to add new smilies you can delete them and re-add them in the correct order.

You don't need to manually edit the database. You can do it from within XF.

If you want to add new smilies you can delete them and re-add them in the correct order.
Oh, yeah, that is so much better than having XF display them consistently while giving admins the ability to do simple grouping within the existing ACP tools as a bonus. :censored:

Yep, having a sort option in the Smilie manager is the ideal way of dealing with it but it'll require database & GUI changes. While we wait for some type of change in a future update, having them sorted by title in the editor, the same way they are sorted on the help page and in the ACP, is literally a one word change in one file that would've allowed people to do some rudimentary sorting in the interim without having to resort to manual db changes or code changes.

A quick & simple change that would've benefited people. Oh, well, I tried at least. I'll go back to keeping quiet. :censored:

Yep, having a sort option in the Smilie manager is the ideal way of dealing with it but it'll require database & GUI changes. While we wait for some type of change in a future update, having them sorted by title in the editor, the same way they are sorted on the help page and in the ACP, is literally a one word change in one file that would've allowed people to do some rudimentary sorting in the interim without having to resort to manual db changes or code changes.

A quick & simple change that would've benefited people. Oh, well, I tried at least. I'll go back to keeping quiet. :censored:

Both would still require an update.

Why not do it right the first time ;) You could still make your change and release it as a resource in the interim...

Both would still require an update.

Why not do it right the first time ;) You could still make your change and release it as a resource in the interim...
Yeah, because changing one word will take the same amount of time & effort as implementing something that would require GUI and/or db changes. (y)

Don't worry, I've learned my lesson. Going forward I'll be :censored:.

I think Slavik was more or less saying that a smilie manager with display order or some other advanced order management would be out of scope for 1.2. Both suggestions are valid.

Top Bottom