Lack of interest [Suggestion]: Change 'Location' to 'Checked in to'

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

TNCclubman

Location is very powerful here on xenforo and right now, people usually set it to your city and never touch it again for the lifetime you're registered on the site.

What if we used it like 'FourSquare', the next big thing online. And instead used it to announce to people where we are currently. We Change 'Location' to 'Checked in to' and when you pop in an address, it links to the map on google. Now heres where my idea gets interesting. What if when someone does that, it gets posted to the 'Everyone Feeds' page with a tiny little thumbnail of the map, linking to the larger map page (as it does currently with the text 'Location'.

Example: TNCClubman checked into 250 adelaide st w. Toronto, On
(with a little thumbnail of the map under the feed posting)

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Makes no sense to me whatsoever.The title doesnt describe the function, any better than location does.
And my members are reluctant to list the country they are in. Let alone their street address. Leads to stalking and such.
But I am sure you can easily do an edit of the phrase.

xen does this already, all im stating is for the wording to be changed from 'location' to 'checked in'. (and also the thumbnail display for the map.) Currently it just links to the map.

xen does this already, all im stating is for the wording to be changed from 'location' to 'checked in'. (and also the thumbnail display for the map.) Currently it just links to the map.
Personally I think it's a little much, and to most people, "Checked in" doesn't make much sense at first glance.

"From" sounds like a nice default description to me.

from
hangout
crib
home
checked in
geolocation
town
country
state
providence

There are many versions of text that could work depending on what the forum is about.

?

Since location isn't a focal point of a forum, community, or even a social network, I really don't see the point of making a person's location so prominent throughout the forum.

I don't think that will work, as it is not a lookup script - it needs to be manually updated. Sites like foursqure and gowalla are popular because of the ease of use on the UI - you don't need to tell it where you are - it just knows and you just "check in"

The map on here takes the location you enter and then places a pin, so users would have to manually update it everytime they wanted to say they were somehwere new.

I think "location" serves the purpose of a forum well and matches the current functionality. "Checked in to" doesn't

and also somehow store all the people you follow on the same map so you can message someone and say "Hey, you're up the street from me, lets have lunch!"

I agree, it should somehow ping from your mobile when you access the xenforo site.

For foil hat wearers, its definitely a dont like it, dont use it feature. But just so you know, I have hundreds of 'friends' online that update their social network with "am taking a dump" "am in line at walmart" "Am stuck in traffic" "checked in to 7 eleven on Bronte St" etc etc... This is a new era we live in and people have a hardon for revealing too much info about themselves. Ignoring it is making you a dinosaur. I want my site to be cutting edge, not an acid-wash forum only site.

what about having it display the thumbnail of the map in the FEED when someone changes their location? It sounds kind of difficult to be honest...lol

I really think this would be better suited as a modification if you want to extend it into this much functionality.

Top Bottom