Lack of interest [Suggestion] Better location for administrative tasks

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Floren

Based on the Mike's post, I was wondering if is possible to have the admin/mod tools moved into existing toolbar. The main reason I want it relocated is because many users will customize the current Xen style. Since the toolbar contains intricate JS, less we play with it, the better it is. Plus, I think it will look sharper if we keep together all red alerts. First thing we all do when a page loads is to check the upper right area for any "redness". Then, why not keep it all together?

Regarding the additional space used, we can shorten easy the description of each event.
Current design:

report-moderator-bar-png.984

Improved design:

4905204252_16c6ea57a1_o.jpg

In case someone wonders how I managed to create the screenshot, I simply edited the HTML nodes, in Google Chrome.

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If the bars were combined eventually they would merge together and get unruly. Keeping them separated allows both to be expended in the long run without need to move items around.

While it might look nice, I think the current situation is just fine.

The "system" is split from "the board"

Just how logging in is a "system" action and shows as a login tab at the top. Once logged in, if you have system access, it shows there as a system tool.

That's sorta how I see it, and I like it that it's on top. They are tasks for team members and shouldn't be too easy to be ignored.

Either way, it'll work for me, I usually prefer things in a centralized area, though I can see how it would get overwhelming (From some of Kier's screenshots :p).

Very true. However, not a lot of clients will have the competence to create custom JS that pulls the data and displays it into dropdowns.

Those clients probably also don't mind that it's in position 1 or 2, as long as it is functional.

It's precisely because of ergonomics and visual psychology that the indicators are placed where they are - reported posts and the moderation queue indicators serve a completely different purpose from the personal indicators in the navigation bar, in my opinion.

Of course, you're welcome to change the template yourself.
Was just going to say you can change the template yoruself. :)

Very true. However, not a lot of clients will have the competence to create custom JS that pulls the data and displays it into dropdowns.
There's no need for custom JS. It's a very rudimentary part of our Javascript framework to be able to load content into drop-down menus like that.

Personally having it where it is right now won't work for me as I have my forum wrapped in a custom header and footer.

I need to be able to ditch the blue XenForo bar which stretches across the width of the screen and therefore any content above it.

I strongly disagree with moving them to the visitor area - when I load a page I see two areas of red, one is for me personally and can be disregarded, while the other is urgent and should not be ignored.

Putting them together destroys this principle of being aware of something without having to go looking for it.

Exactly. Amen.

We already had a deep suspicion Kier likes doing the macarena, but now due to this Disclosure ... we all know Mike loves tango! :eek:
Ya, I wanted to bring some smiles on your faces... :)

I need to be able to ditch the blue XenForo bar which stretches across the width of the screen and therefore any content above it.
At least you managed to break the Guiness record that Xen holds for an user who posted the most times in a profile. Be proud of your accomplishment! :)

I think you need to be careful of how many items you place on that bar, some will use fixed width styles.

The way it is set now, red on the left I need to action, red on the right can wait, so it works quite well. :)

Ya, I thought about it Lawrence. The browser was sized at 1024x768px, in purpose.
When I created the screenshot (it was quite tricky), I saw it this way: Red = flag that something is urgent. Then, I actually read what is the alert related to. :)

I don't know about you guys, but the first thing I do when I open a Xen page, I check if there is any "Red" at the top. It is a reflex for me. Since I point my eyes in one place, why not have it all together? Let me post that "scanability" keyword...

Either ways, you will still check it and is up to you to decide what is more important. Speaking open to all of you, telling me that is better to have urgent alerts on the top left side of the screen, might be logical... when you have a 30inch screen with a maximized browser. :)
Then again, your red alerts will look like minuscule dots...

Ya, I thought about it Lawrence. The browser was sized at 1024x768px, in purpose.
When I created the screenshot (it was quite tricky), I saw it this way: Red = flag that something is urgent. Then, I actually read what is the alert related to. :)

I don't know about you guys, but the first thing I do when I open a Xen page, I check if there is any "Red" at the top. It is a reflex for me. Since I point my eyes in one place, why not have it all together? Let me post that "scanability" keyword...

Either ways, you will still check it and is up to you to decide what is more important. Speaking open to all of you, telling me that is better to have urgent alerts on the top left side of the screen, might be logical... when you have a 30inch screen with a maximized browser. :)
Then again, your red alerts will look like minuscule dots...

Thats me, and they're not that small to me :P.

Top Bottom