Implemented [Suggestion] Animations...

digitalpoint

Some animations are really useful (like the pagination scrolling), but others seem to just be there for eye candy and beyond the initial, "Wow, that's neat...", they don't seem to make things faster/better.

For example, the forum main page with needing to mouseover to get forum descriptions. That one seems to only make things take longer (reading the descriptions) vs. being useful. In my opinion, a better way would be to have the descriptions show for all forums without needing to mouseover, but then with a small description toggle for the page (clicking it would fade out all the descriptions and collapse the page to how it is now, clicking it again would do the reverse). With the user's preference being saved of course.

In the end, it seems something like that would make finding the forum you are looking for (based on description) more efficient/quicker.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Totally agree with this suggestion. The mouseover on forum description can become really annoying when going from forum x link to forum y link. A toggle feature (as stated above) would be welcomed.

Clearly I am out of my league. I thought the system was quite useful and elegant. It allows a clean viewing area while containing the functionality of forum descriptions.

For our users, having a toggle would only confuse them.

Some animations are really useful (like the pagination scrolling), but others seem to just be there for eye candy and beyond the initial, "Wow, that's neat...", they don't seem to make things faster/better.

For example, the forum main page with needing to mouseover to get forum descriptions. That one seems to only make things take longer (reading the descriptions) vs. being useful. In my opinion, a better way would be to have the descriptions show for all forums without needing to mouseover, but then with a small description toggle for the page (clicking it would fade out all the descriptions and collapse the page to how it is now, clicking it again would do the reverse). With the user's preference being saved of course.

In the end, it seems something like that would make finding the forum you are looking for (based on description) more efficient/quicker.

I completely agree. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the mouseover forumdiscriptions. I totally love the minimal style of xenForo: it's just that sometimes the minimalistics can get in the way of userfriendliness and this is one of the very few examples. I vote for the forumdescriptions to be visible at a glance indeed, because people need it to decide which forum they want to use, exactly like you pointed out.

Supported.

Clearly I am out of my league. I thought the system was quite useful and elegant. It allows a clean viewing area while containing the functionality of forum descriptions.

For our users, having a toggle would only confuse them.

just teach them ... :)

It's about how you defined forum names. If you select forum names clear enough, mouseover thingy is really nice as you get a better looking board list.

Works fine on chrome
using it here

hmmm, maybe I'm misunderstanding the phrase "scrolling" in this case. I see that the page numbers increase/decrease according to the page I'm on, but I don't see any actual scrolling, as in movement; nor anything to click to make it move. Or am I delusional again? lol

I agree somewhat, but it doesn't bother me yet. I don't notice 'in the way' animations and smexy-stuff. So it's all good with me.

I agree somewhat, but it doesn't bother me yet. I don't notice 'in the way' animations and smexy-stuff. So it's all good with me.

I do. Try changing your status information in your Personal Details. You see that a (good looking on it's own) message appears at the top of the screen telling you that your changes have been saved. When I first saw it thought it was a bit odd to have feedback presented like that. I think this could be made less 'in your face' and big. This is what I think digitalpoint is trying to say and I agree on some occasions like this. Not to put down the UI at all, because I think overall it is really awesome.

Isn't that what most users like? Facebook is full of eye candy and everyone loves it. With a database of 400 million people, they have to do something right, no? You are looking at the product from a developer perspective and neglect the fact that 99% of people using forums are not. Plus, everything is client oriented, so it does not affect the server in any way.

I don't really have a problem with it (yet) although I can see where you're coming from. It is quite cool, though. :)

Top Bottom