Lack of interest [Suggestion] Alt-Text missing for Like

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

erich37

at the very right of each post we do have the Links for:

#Permalink - Like - Reply

for "Like" there is the Alt-Text missing when hovering over the link.

maybe something as this:

"Like, do you like this ?"

FakeBook has: "Like this comment"

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I believe he's talking about the "title" attribute of <a> of the "Like" link.
<a href="#" title="Hello there">Hi</a>

What he wants is.
<a href="-#LikeLink-" title="Do you like this?">Like</a>

I believe he's talking about the "title" attribute of <a> of the "Like" link.
<a href="#" title="Hello there">Hi</a>

What he wants is.
<a href="-Likelink-" title="Do you like this?">Like</a>
Thanks, I know what he wants, I'm just questioning the necessity to add a tooltip at all - the Like button can only be interpreted one of a few ways.

Probably completely unrelated, but:

My plan is to have a subforum to vote on things, and based on information in another thread, it seems possible to have a special graphic on the first post in those threads in that subforum, perhaps I could use a "Vote" button instead of the Like. We may put a title on that button "Vote for this idea".

If that is possible, I don't code.

Probably completely unrelated, but:

My plan is to have a subforum to vote on things, and based on information in another thread, it seems possible to have a special graphic on the first post in those threads in that subforum, perhaps I could use a "Vote" button instead of the Like. We may put a title on that button "Vote for this idea".

If that is possible, I don't code.

yeah, this is unrelated.
But I guess you are talking of having some sort of Poll-feature limited to a sub-forum only ?

you might want to create a new thread for this in the Suggestions-section......

the title attribute (tooltip) is only required if the link itself is not straightforward - needs extra information about the element

the alt attribute specifies an alternate text for an image (not needed for text links)

(posting in case anyone is confused)

Seems a bit redundant perhaps?
I'm sure you envision many types of people using XF.
Some of those users may not understand what Like is doing on the page.

I recommend adding the tooltip. Reply has one - why not keep it consistent?

yeah, this is unrelated.
I was intending my post to be taken a bit more abstractly, just to give idea that it could have other uses, in addition to the obvious "Do you Like me?", "Like this post?", "Hit me!" type text that could show up.

The need to let people know that Like means "Like" is somewhat dubious.

Links? No.
It's images that need alt text.
Thanks, I know what he wants, I'm just questioning the necessity to add a tooltip at all - the Like button can only be interpreted one of a few ways.
Then why does the Reply link have a title attribute? I would think the Reply button can only be interpreted one of a few ways...
The Reply link said:
Reply, quoting this message

the title attribute (tooltip) is only required if the link itself is not straightforward - needs extra information about the element

I recommend adding the tooltip. Reply has one - why not keep it consistent?

The Report and Watch Thread links also do not have a tooltip. Not that they are needed IMHO, but if you use 'consistency' as a reason (which can be a good reason in certain areas), then you also want to have tooltips on them. I believe the actual need (added value) of tooltips out weight reasons of consistency. So since there is no need...

it is about consistency, but also about language.

Considering that "Like" will contain more than just ONE word in other languages e.g. in german-language.

In german-language, for "Like" it will most probably say "Gefällt mir", so having an ALT-Text in order to explain the meaning of "Gefällt mir" would be beneficial.

it is about consistency, but also about language.

Considering that "Like" will contain more than just ONE word in other languages e.g. in german-language.

In german-language, for "Like" it will most probably say "Gefällt mir", so having an ALT-Text in order to explain the meaning of "Gefällt mir" would be beneficial.
What would the tooltip say? "Gefällt mir?" I'm kind of with Kier on this one, that despite how many words it may take up, there's really no way to explain "like." :)

What would the tooltip say? "Gefällt mir?" I'm kind of with Kier on this one, that despite how many words it may take up, there's really no way to explain "like." :)

what I am trying to say: you might not need to explain the word "Like" in english language.
But there is a need to explain "Like" in other languages.

what I am trying to say: you might not need to explain the word "Like" in english language.
But there is a need to explain "Like" in other languages.
Even if "Like" has been translated into that language?

I think with the proliferation of Facebook now, almost everyone who uses forums will immediately understand what "Like" means, no matter which language it is written in.

Top Bottom