[Suggestion] Allow marking a thread as "read" from the "What's New" search results page

Enigma

I constantly return to the "What's New" page to read the forums. It would be nice if I could mark certain threads that I don't care about as "read" right from there without opening the thread and then returning to "What's New". It'd be analogous to the "Hide" button beside items in "Your News Feed".

Upvote 8
vBulletin.com (vB4) and vBulletin.org (vB3) do not have this feature. It must be an addon ?
My idea can't be seen as bulky. The entire column is hidden, unless the "Skip" feature is clicked.
Only then is the column shown.
1 - The feature I was referring to is for marking forums read -- not threads. I was suggesting that similar functionality be used for threads.
2 - Having to click "skip" then "mark read" is way too much work for a simple task. Yes, I know, 2 clicks isn't much; but when we're talking usability, functionality, modernism, and things just "working", 2 steps/clicks is too much when I can simply click the blue dot to mark the thread as read.

2 - Having to click "skip" then "mark read" is way too much work for a simple task. Yes, I know, 2 clicks isn't much; but when we're talking usability, functionality, modernism, and things just "working", 2 steps/clicks is too much when I can simply click the blue dot to mark the thread as read.

Yes, it is true that for the first post to me marked "Read", it takes 2 clicks, one to expose the "Skip" links and another to click the link.
However ....... I could mark 10 posts "Read" with just 11 clicks.
Of course the benefit of the "Skip" button is that it would be there for people who want to use it, but it won't junk things up (keep the GUI clean looking) for those that don't want it.

For me, my typical usage situation is this:
I have 30 posts to check out, not much time to do it.
I probably can "Skip" 15 of them because I know by the title, the information is not for me.

This would be for my most important forums. I wouldn't use "Skip" features here because there are just too many posts.

Hope that helps !!

I would still need to mark the forums read that I don't filter though, as I wouldn't necessarily want to read every post.
No, there isn't time. You can must prioritize what is important based on the title.
Look at the markups here ... would a What's new with "Speed" skipping (read) work for you ?

In my 9 years experience with using forums (mostly vBulletin) I have never ever used any 'Mark as Read' functionality. Maybe I should try one day what it can do for me, since many people overhere seem to find it handy/use it as an important part of their forum-proces? (I still need to get to understand the benefits of it)

Top Bottom