Implemented [suggestion] Admin search

Booth

I've just read yet another comment about admin "bloat" which I think is nonsense to be perfectly honest. The only time when bloat should cause an issue is if the developers are spending more time on extra features rather than concentrating on the main functionality.

However admin bloat is something that could only come from the mind of a VB user, who gets overwhelmed with the sheer amount of tickboxes, radio buttons and drop downs when they log into adminCP. I was one of them. However, for those who have entered the 21st century ;) , this is why this is a thing of the past.

IPB3 has an amazing admin search function, which allows you to... Well search the admin area. It's very effective and thorough. So for example if you wanted to look up Facebook Integration, you just type it into the search and the option appears with a small link to allow you to expand it to the full area of that option.

IPB3 has 10x more options than VB3 but yet I find navigating the admin area of IPB3 100x easier because of this. I really hope XF implements an admin search, as it's probably the best thing about IPB3 in my opinion. You can now even use it to search for specific members.

Upvote 12
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
ooh must be a vb4 option only then!

update: holy cow. i cannot find it right now. i must be hallucinating. forget my post above and this one!

could be! but i do remember something.

i guess i just use their show all option and then use the browser search feature. but i am really missing something!

Agree with this. I'm sure it'll be simple to find but a search function makes it a lot easier!

I also want the ability to customise the quick links (if there are any) to add functions I want to and not what the developers think I will use frequently :P

Agree with this. I'm sure it'll be simple to find but a search function makes it a lot easier!

I also want the ability to customise the quick links (if there are any) to add functions I want to and not what the developers think I will use frequently :P
It just means if you cannot find something, with search you can. And if you are in a hurry to do something you can get there a lot quicker. The search in ipb3 is Ajax too. Very nifty. It's one thing I miss when I go from my ipb3 site to vb3.

Without being able to go into detail, there is search in places, in the admin area.

Searchj is useful but not instead of quicklinks.
I want a quicklinks area in the admincp right at the top of the front page - which I manually choose which links I have in it.

However well it's designed however considerately no on e else can know exactly which things I use the most often PLUS which others are not that often but urgent when I do want them. So no auto bump on links I use often either.
Just MY CHOICE.

Search as well, fine. But My Quicklinks is the vital one.

Search is fine, but it shouldn't replace good organization of the AdminCP.

After 20 years of Windows , we've finally come full circle:
  • In MSDOS 6.22, to do anything, you had to go to the C: prompt and type.
  • In Windows 7, to do or find anything, you have to go to the Start menu and type. They depreciated filename searches, so that searching for a filename takes several MINUTES as the entire contents of files are checked too. They removed the ability to just start typing part of a filename into an open window. They broke using the scroll wheel in a window with focus. And there are many other subtle and non-subtle ways that now, the only permitted way to look for anything in Windows 7 is to go to the Start menu and start typing in the little box. Every other means of navigation received substantial degradation of functionality compared to previous versions of Windows.

yeap. things have remained fairly complicated. i end up using google quick search box for the same because it is much more powerful compared to the search feature on start menu.

It's simple: ACP's need to look more like a (web 2.0, easy to use) frontend and less than a (old school, difficult-to-use) backend.

A search can be useful, but above all there should be no need for a search.

Another example of how an ACP can be improved: why not show options that are most frequently used like 'bookmarks' on the ACP main page?

It's simple: ACP's need to look more like a (web 2.0, easy to use) frontend and less than a (old school, difficult-to-use) backend.
A search can be useful, but above all there should be no need for a search.
Another example of how an ACP can be improved: why not show options that are most frequently used like 'bookmarks' on the ACP main page?

A search is a useful backup but isn't the first tool.
Also I don't want the software deciding for me which things I need in my admin bookmarks - good concept. It would be OK for software to suggest possibilitities maybe in a separate box and I click to transfer to my toip level bookmarks.
But we should be able to manually add as well - nothing and no one can comprehend what **** I **** find top priority except ME.

Yes a bookmark-functionality should be manually editable. But it's also very likely that if you use 'usergroups settings' more than 'general settings' you want the former to rank higher as bookmark. So some automatization should be possible.

one of the things i would suggest is to highlight the recently used features.

this can come handy for times, you made a change but you realize that it did not work out well or the members are not comfortable with it. so you go back to the ACP to revert it back.

another would be... most frequently used options. basically, it pains me everytime in vb ACP to go to the same old setting buried deep inside that i like to access frequently!

just a suggestion!

Top Bottom