Implemented [Suggestion] Add custom pages to the help system

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Was just looking how to do this myself...

This is seriously lacking from existing content ability and scope. The area is there, but its not easy to install new custom pages too it...

This is a very minor suggestion, but one I feel would be helpful.

I read Brogan's post about how to get a page added to the help area: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/add-new-entries-to-the-help-page.8676/#post-168409

Two drawbacks:

1. The page really isn't in the Help section. When a user views the page, they are taken out of the Help area and moved to the Forum section on the nav bar. I suppose code can be added to move the user back.

2. The newly added page isn't using the Help template with the page selections in the left side bar. The title for Help pages is left justified over that sidebar and so things look ok. When new pages are added, there is no left side bar, so things appear differently.

Again this is surely low priority but it would be nice if we could add pages to the Help area which would use the Help template, keep viewers in the help area, and then the pages would be automsyically added to the help sub-navigation menu.

2. The newly added page isn't using the Help template with the page selections in the left side bar. The title for Help pages is left justified over that sidebar and so things look ok. When new pages are added, there is no left side bar, so things appear differently.
Not the main point of your thread I know but my template edit does add a link in the left menu, as well as the main content on the right.

help.webp

Thank you Brogan. I did copy your example and it was helpful.

I was referring to the point after a user selects the individual help page. For example, I have attached an image of Terms & Conditions, which is an integrated part of the Help menu, and Privacy Policy, which is added on using the information you shared.

The things to notice:

- breadcrumb shows user has been moved to Forum page for Privacy Policy
- Terms & Conditions, as an integrated part of Help, retains the Help menu on the left but Privacy Policy, as an add-on, does not
- the page title begins above the Help menu for Terms, but about the first word of the Privacy Policy.

Again, it's a small item but it just shows inconsistency, I noticed, and so did the person helping me build my site. I thought I would mention it as a minor item which could improve the XF product experience a tiny bit.

Help-Terms.webp

It's not an inconsistency as such, that's a function of Pages as they sit in the forum.

Currently you would need an add-on to add new pages to Help in the same way as the existing ones.

I also remembered there was an existing suggestion for this so I've merged the threads.

I also would appreciate this feature. Privacy Policy and Terms of Service are integral to any business website. There should be a convenient way to keep them updated.

Bumping this old thread because I think it is a great suggestion. I know MyBB has this feature and it is really quite essential. Hopefully it will be added soon.

Top Bottom