Suddenly new Google ad below footer???

Black Tiger

I'm using adsense on my site.
I've choose to have Google auto format the ads, but I did -not- enable the option for Google to automatically place ads.

So I only have ads on the right side column and a banner below the forum list, just below the forum statistics, but not below the footer.

And now suddenly ads are appearing below the footer by Google.
1706105415602.webp

Now I can click the little cross and then I get that little thing with "add options", "feedback" and "why this add".

But my question is, why is it possible for Adsense to place that add there, while definately auto ads are not enabled in adsense.
How can I get rid of that add there for everybody. I don't want adds displayed belowed the footer.

This is the code I use for years in the ACP -> advertising section under Container content below:
Code:
<br /><div style="text-align:center;">
<script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-55238xxxxxxx"
     crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
<!-- Forumhome, na forums -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:block"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-552xxxxxx"
     data-ad-slot="0171xxxxxx"
     data-ad-format="auto"
     data-full-width-responsive="true"></ins>
<script>
     (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>
</div><br />

Solution
Google saying "congratulations, we have just run an experiment on your site
I was just looking when logging in at adsense and also discovered some experiment was suddenly started.
I wasn't aware of this and don't remember that I had this e-mail, but I'm not sure. I just read your reply when coming back to report my findings.

So I disabled the experiment and the issue was gone.
This was done to choose the "keep original" and after that I got the option to definately disable experiments here.

There is some setting I encountered (which I can't find that quickly again) where you can choose in the optimalisation settings of the ads, to have Google enable experiments automatically, let them generated and you choose, or disable...
Additionally... I just discovered that normally the consent block is displayed there. This is gone now and you can select "non personalized adds" when clicking the little cross and use the "ads options" (freely translated from Dutch).

But I didn't think Google would use ads instead of the GPDR consent block.

Edit: This add keeps popping up now also on other pages. I don't want that add block there. How can I remove this for all users? Never been there before.

Edit 2: Just disabled the normal footer banner which I quoted above and the add keeps coming. So it must be something from that Google consent thing. Does anybody else have this issue too?

Last edited:
So it must be something from that Google consent thing. Does anybody else have this issue too?
Not sure if it's the same thing or related, but at some stage I may have clicked on some link in the Adsense dashboard because I suddenly got an email from Google saying "congratulations, we have just run an experiment on your site and over the last two weeks you've generated x% more revenue."

So unbeknownst to me they'd been running auto ads that I don't think I ever authorised (but maybe I did at some stage give them permission to run "experiments.") I hadn't noticed because I was always logged in and ads only showed to guests. I had veto go and turn off the experiment.

Google saying "congratulations, we have just run an experiment on your site
I was just looking when logging in at adsense and also discovered some experiment was suddenly started.
I wasn't aware of this and don't remember that I had this e-mail, but I'm not sure. I just read your reply when coming back to report my findings.

So I disabled the experiment and the issue was gone.
This was done to choose the "keep original" and after that I got the option to definately disable experiments here.

There is some setting I encountered (which I can't find that quickly again) where you can choose in the optimalisation settings of the ads, to have Google enable experiments automatically, let them generated and you choose, or disable experiments completely.
I'm still looking to find this setting again.

But at least now the issue is fixed and the non-wanted banner below the footer is gone.

Solution
Found it.
Click on Experiments and then use the "automatic optimalisation active" (freely translated) button.
There you can choose for example to only use the suggestions for experiments and no automatic experiments anymore.
Or completely disable the stuff.

Top Bottom