Sudden Database Error! Please Help!

Drae

This morning my installation of Xenforo at sizaelrpg.com was working fine. However, at 4.20PM today, it's now displaying that it has a database error. I've not done any changes to the site in any way today - just visited it this morning and then later again today to find out it was down.

(Note that I have yet to update it with the latest patch.)

I have access to the admin cp and I've gone into the server error logs and this is coming up since the site became inaccessible:

Error Info:
Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 4:20 PM

Stack Trace:
#0 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(164): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('?????INSERT INT...', Array)
#3 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Style.php(434): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->set('styles', Array)
#4 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Public.php(63): XenForo_Model_Style->rebuildStyleCache()
#5 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php(178): XenForo_Dependencies_Public->_handleCustomPreloadedData(Array)
#6 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(125): XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData()
#7 /home/sizaelrp/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#8 {main}

Request State:
array(3) {
["url"] => string(21) "http://sizaelrpg.com/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

I'm going to see if my hosting providers can restore the whole thing for me back to yesterday, but any ideas what's causing it?

Looks like they've altered the mysql server settings.
I have access to the cpanel but I know that I haven't touched the mysql stuff for a while. Any idea what they might have done their end? I'm speaking to them now, just waiting to find out what might have happened.

Thanks.

What is the packet setting (if you know)? Is it just how large the MySQL database is allowed to be?

It limits the size of an individual query. The max_allowed_packet needs to be at least as big as the largest record in your database... probably 2M at least. You can set it much higher without problems though.

Thanks Jake.

Unfortunately the server I am on is not owned by me as I rent space on it (shared) - I can't change it's settings :(
You'll have to put in a support ticket and ask if they can increase that setting for you (remember to include a reason as to why you need the setting changed!). They may do it for free, or they might ask you to change your plan to a higher one. You also have the option of finding a new host (I'd ask first though).

You'll have to put in a support ticket and ask if they can increase that setting for you (remember to include a reason as to why you need the setting changed!). They may do it for free, or they might ask you to change your plan to a higher one. You also have the option of finding a new host (I'd ask first though).

I told them the issue last night about seventeen hours ago (even linked them to this thread) and must have been lumbered with trainees or something. I'm trying to get them to undo what they did (as it made it worse) and have asked about upgrading. I'm looking around for alternative hosts just in case - know anybody who allows MySQL over 30GB without making me pay a huge amount?

Top Bottom