Sub threads?

Tambling

Can xenForo be setup to create "child" sub-threads when posting a response? So that the comment INDENTS? It seems that, by default the post that we RESPOND TO gets "quoted" but there is no indentation - everything stay's in a flat "parent" list.

Have any of the xenForo checked out Coursera? https://www.coursera.org/
I love how clean their Discussion Forum design is. I'd like to emulate the Cousera Forum design in xenForo.

My question also. We would like to move form a flat forum to a threaded forum If you need an example, Reddit is probably the best known example of threaded comments

Thank you Ghost Writer. Yes, Reddit is also a great example of indented threaded forums.

It appears xenForo has chosen NOT to deal with threaded responses? Or is this 'possible' in xenForo?

Thank you Ghost Writer. Yes, Reddit is also a great example of indented threaded forums.

It appears xenForo has chosen NOT to deal with threaded responses? Or is this 'possible' in xenForo?

It seems silly and inefficient to use "Quotes" when we are simply RESPONDING right below a post. I guess this is the inherent design with xenForo and we cannot change this?

My question also. We would like to move form a flat forum to a threaded forum If you need an example, Reddit is probably the best known example of threaded comments

It does seem strange that xenForo does not offer any kind of sub-thread indentation feature because subthreads are so ubiquitous in many discussion forums (ESPECIALLY online education sites)

Other than this glaring omission, xenForo appears very elegant and user friendly (and admin friendly too)

They are listed in Wikipedia as being threaded - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_software It's a bit late. Maybe tomorrow we'll get a response.

I think this Wikipedia page on Forum Software is confusing "automatic Quotes" with "Threaded." And if xenForo was capable of threaded formatting, we would see EXAMPLES of it. Unless we're really MISSING something here?

OK, we will wait for the response from xenForo tech support humans.

It does seem strange that xenForo does not offer any kind of sub-thread indentation feature because subthreads are so ubiquitous in many discussion forums (ESPECIALLY online education sites)

Other than this glaring omission, xenForo appears very elegant and user friendly (and admin friendly too)

Sorry, but this discussion thread is a bit of a mess, haha, because there is NO threading. :giggle:

Sorry, but this discussion thread is a bit of a mess, haha, because there is NO threading. :giggle:

It would be MUCH easier to read this thread without all the Quotes and WITH proper indentations to organize the responses.

Hmmm...I wonder if this feature could be added by one of our programmers?...Can we edit the xenForo code on this level for our server?

There is no option to change the thread layout, it would require custom development or an add-on.

It seems silly and inefficient to use "Quotes" when we are simply RESPONDING right below a post. I guess this is the inherent design with xenForo and we cannot change this?
It's not compulsory to quote posts when replying.

There is no option to change the thread layout, it would require custom development or an add-on.

So Brogan, do you understand what level of custom development would be required to change the thread layout? Is this potentially a few hours of work? Or a few DAYS of work? Is this "easy" or is it something that might be very difficult to pull off?

Thanks!

It's not compulsory to quote posts when replying.

True, but some of our forums can get long winded and replying to a comment a couple pages back with out quotes leaves people confused. Our Economics forum comes to mind. Some of the threads there are 20 pages long.

I'm looking for a threaded forum similar in function to Drupal forum.module but without the need for CMS. If you would like to see the forum.module in action ZeroHedge is using it.

Other than that xenForo looks really nice, has a clean interface and appears to be easy to manage.

We're going to purchase XenForo, install it on our dedicated server and bridge it with MediaWiki. Using this for teaching online college classes based on a customized MediaWiki website. I'm sure XF will get the job done.

One of the 'gold standards' of online eduction Forum apps is Coursera. They often have 25k - 50,000+ (!) users in single class, so their forums have hundreds of thousands of posts in a given class. The way Coursera Forums are designed, with threaded responses spun off as a separate conversation, really works great for this scale. Even in my own humble classes (with only HUNDREDS of students in a given term) we want to keep the Forum interface as clean, clutter free and SIMPLE as possible. We're sure XF can be tweaked to look and feel great for our classes.

OK, here we go. See 'yall in the licensed user support area! ;)

There is no threaded format.

However, I'm posting here right now. Going by the wording of my sentence above, it's clear that I'm replying to you, even if I didn't quote, because your reply will be directly above mine.

Hope that explains it better.

We're going to purchase XenForo, install it on our dedicated server and bridge it with MediaWiki.

OK, here we go. See 'yall in the licensed user support area! ;)

I see the discussion area in MediaWiki is threaded format. If you meet with success would you kindly post an let us know.

I suppose I could get some one to modify, but I just don't have the time to do it myself

So are you saying there is an option to make the forum threaded format?

My gut feeling is I believe XF will work out nice for our needs. The first step will be to integrate it into my website skin, setup single login bridged from MediaWiki into XF. To be honest, I'm not sure we really "need" indented sub-threads. The most IMPORTANT thing is that students actually USE this tool, and to make it easy for them.

With our very talented coders and developers, and the XF tech support and 3rd party developers, I bet XenForo could be made to exactly replicate any other forum design (like Coursera). But that will be 'icing on the cake refinement.'

Honestly, even asking these questions on the XF Pre-sales forum area has been a pleasure. The XF interface is slick and nimble. And exploring the "Admin" area shows how deep and customizable the system is.

We're excited to get XenForo integrated into our classes.

There is no threaded format.

However, I'm posting here right now. Going by the wording of my sentence above, it's clear that I'm replying to you, even if I didn't quote, because your reply will be directly above mine.

Hope that explains it better.

Easy enough on one page but when the discussions occur over the course of months, multiple pages, and multiple counterpoints to an argument, it's a lot harder without threaded format.

Okay No threaded format - I'll accept that as the definitive answer

Top Bottom