Sub threads?

Tambling

Can xenForo be setup to create "child" sub-threads when posting a response? So that the comment INDENTS? It seems that, by default the post that we RESPOND TO gets "quoted" but there is no indentation - everything stay's in a flat "parent" list.

Have any of the xenForo checked out Coursera? https://www.coursera.org/
I love how clean their Discussion Forum design is. I'd like to emulate the Cousera Forum design in xenForo.

My gut feeling is I believe XF will work out nice for our needs.

Hope so - nice chatting with you

Our issue is that we are currently supporting phpbb, vb4, SMF, Ikon and others. We are attempting to consolidate. We need something that will work with the largest forums and yet is simple to use, is light on the overhead, and secure.

Okay No threaded format - I'll accept that as the definitive answer

It must not be that easy otherwise XenForo would make "Threaded Format" on option in the Admin Control Panel. However, if it IS possible, it will be interesting to access how much TIME (money) is involved to code in these features. I will look into this once we install XF and basic features are working solid. Perhaps we will offer the "XenForo Threaded Format Addon" to the general public to help recoup development costs. Or maybe some of you would like to co-op and share the development expense?

Aha! Thank you Yoskaldyr! A "Tree View!" YES, those are the words we were looking for for.

We will DEFINITELY check this out. And it goes to show how flexible XF is in the hands of competent coders.

Hey Yoskaldyr, if you can do a "Coursera Forum Style Addon," (to emulate the basic design of Coursera forums) we would be happy to discuss contracting you for this. Coursera is free, so you can check out their excellent forum system anytime. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in discussing.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I'm not a designer - only programmer :)

I guess I meant "to help program the features" instead of "emulate the design." The design interface will probably be, relatively, easy our web designers to modify. So let us know if you are available for custom XenForo programming work. It would be nice to have a XF expert programmer on our team. Thanks!

I took a quick look at your addon and it appears to be what we are looking for. Will take a closer look this afternoon, it may work. However, given the history we have had with forum software, it is vastly preferable to have addons that are supported by the software forum developers

I see that CMF MediaWiki - XenForo to MediaWiki Bridge 1.0.0 already exists. That will save Tambling a lot of time

I see that CMF MediaWiki - XenForo to MediaWiki Bridge 1.0.0 already exists. That will save Tambling a lot of time

Yes, we definitely plan to try this ($5! ;). But our MediaWiki programmers are so good, I would not be surprised if they can (quite quickly) create a perfect bridge (cleanest code) from scratch. We shall see!

It's an inherent design in most forum softwares now.

Ya man, we're onto two pages of this fascinating thread. And I have followed and enjoyed every brilliant post from these stellar contributors. I wonder how the 'Tree View' addon would have organized this thread? Regardless, "XenForo is a very smooth ride." And you can QUOTE me on that! LOL. :D

Ya man, we're onto two pages of this fascinating thread. And I have followed and enjoyed every brilliant post from these stellar contributors. I wonder how the 'Tree View' addon would have organized this thread? Regardless, "XenForo is a very smooth ride." And you can QUOTE me on that! LOL. :D

The point is, tree view is a very "limited" use/request now. It's so '90's you know. It's really easy to figure out who you are quoting (and follow the quotes) by simply clicking on the arrow to the right of the said: in the quote. Really difficult to do.

The point is, tree view is a very "limited" use/request now. It's so '90's you know. It's really easy to figure out who you are quoting (and follow the quotes) by simply clicking on the arrow to the right of the said: in the quote. Really difficult to do.

Yep, I could see that. And I refer again back to https://www.coursera.org/ as the "Gold Standard" of Forum design for online education. Perhaps the term "tree view" in an inaccurate over-simplification? I think this will all come out in the wash once we start using it in real life with active students...

Top Bottom