Implemented Styles section - thumbnail instead of user avatar

Kim

Hi Guys,

I would like to suggest that within the styles section, the thumbnail showing on the list view of styles be a thumbnail of the actual style.... rather than the avatar of the uploader.

I know this would not necessarily work with the Modifications, and am not sure if it would be feasible to have two different kinds of images displaying, but the avatar is useless information for most people, whereas a thumbnail of the actual style, allows the browser instant access to the colours/layout etc of the style, thus making selection of interesting styles to further investigate infinitely easier and quicker.

Upvote 23
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is something I didn't like. I never seen the point in having a preview of a resource when the image is so small and if you made it an acceptable size then this alone would take up space and be very wasteful. I find the authors info yields more info about the resource rather than an undersize screenshot. It's one of the reasons why Microdownloads put me off and why i never purchased it for this reason alone if i understood the suggestion correctly.

Wouldn't the preview been in the resource page, full size? unless i'm missing the suggestion intentions rather than a small screeny that you can barely make out.

the "Resource image" does not have to be a "preview of a Resource"...... it could be any image.

:)

Shelley I'd think that really informative pictures would be in the content of the page. But an icon would flag up a crude indicator on the listings pages - main listings or category listings.
So for example if you're into cars and you're looking at listings your eye would recognise even a small icon of various types of cars because it's your thing. I'd recognise cat breeds the same way ;) Or mine might be symbols for historical cultures like Celtic cross, Saxon axe, Viking ship. Within your interest area you recognise a lot more in a samll icon.

If the Author avatar Imoves to the sidebar which imo works much better, the page also needs an image on the left. Otherwise the left becomes a mass of text - an icon breaks it up and centres it.

I can see value in certain circumstances. You make a point but on the same hand it wouldn't benefit a site such as mine since the previews would be so small. I'd much know that a certain resource posted by a certain member would hold more value than a screenshot of the resource their posting. That being said though, this should be optional in a way that we should have the ability to retain the authors avatar or apply a screenshot as the indicator. Personally, for me and my site i wouldn't use the indicator so i think an option of either an indicator or authors avatar should be that, an option plus it makes both parties happy since not all sites need or require screenshot indicators when the screenshow/preview is in full view in the resource page.

the "Resource image" does not have to be a "preview of a Resource"...... it could be any image.

An image not relevant and we lose the authors avatar not knowing at a glance who posted? Perhaps I'm missing what your saying but off the bat that doesn't sound a very consistent solution to me. I don't need to see irrelevant imagery that doesn't apply to resource-x. Anyhow, my previous post requested or rather suggested it should be optional giving both parties that option to choose.

An image not relevant and we lose the authors avatar not knowing at a glance who posted? Perhaps I'm missing what your saying but off the bat that doesn't sound a very consistent solution to me. I don't need to see irrelevant imagery that doesn't apply to resource-x. Anyhow, my previous post requested or rather suggested it should be optional giving both parties that option to choose.

The Author-Avatar is not being lost, you just move the Author-Avatar into the sidebar at the top.... where it actually belongs.

see mockup:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ability-to-upload-icon-avatar.26854/#post-504566

I agree though, the Avatar at the "Resource Homepage" is another mindgame we need to brainstorm about :coffee:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good god. no. That is a terrible placement. No offence but the avatar doesn't belong in the sideblocks.

No offence, but perhaps i'm not seeing any value here to custom imagery. I personally think it's a recipe for confusion plus with previews it's a tedious task and a time consuming one to build a preview image specifically for each and every resource. Sometimes, previews can take as long as the resource creation itself. In my case a a preview (custom indicator of the resource) isn't a matter of taking a screenshot upload and done. 99% of the time it's designed from scratch for good reason because it belongs in the resource area, full view.

I'm not knocking the suggestion btw, I just don't see any value in it at all and personally think it's confusion and compromising layout with inconsistency so hopefully if considered it's optional. :)

Shelley don't worry, I am sure we are all talking about "optional" features which can be set by Admin in ACP based on individual Admin-requirements.

I trust K+M are capable of coding some flexibility into this :D:p;)

Shelley don't worry, I am sure we are all talking about "optional" features which can be set by Admin in ACP based on individual Admin-requirements.

I trust K+M are capable of coding some flexibility into this :D:p;)

:P Yeah I wanted to make sure that optional was the way this was going. I've never been a fan of the custom image path as it was the only show stopper for me that stopped me purchasing microdownloads when it was first released. I tried for the option to be added to author avatars but the suggestion wasn't considered so I never considered it as an viable option for my site. :)

:p Yeah I wanted to make sure that optional was the way this was going. I've never been a fan of the custom image path as it was the only show stopper for me that stopped me purchasing microdownloads when it was first released. I tried for the option to be added to author avatars but the suggestion wasn't considered so I never considered it as an viable option for my site. :)

well, when I am suggesting suggestions o_O .... then in most cases I am thinking of "optional" options o_O

Most people just don't get it and simply disagree and fight any suggestion for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

It's just a matter of thinking out of the VBox :D and get the devs to build more options into the ACP. That's all. :)

:coffee:

well, when I am suggesting suggestions o_O .... then in most cases I am thinking of "optional" options o_O

Most people just don't get it and simply disagree and fight any suggestions for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

It's just a matter of thinking out of the VBox :D and get the devs to build more options into the ACP. That's all. :)

:coffee:

:LOL: yeah. My bad I guess I should have thought outside the vbox lol. Good point though erich. :)

I think Shelley's objection rests on her view of this as a screenshot. Of course a screenshot packed into a tiny icon is pretty useless.
But if I understand you Shelley you'd have styles in different colours. So you might have a set of simple icons like these
Shelleyicons.webp

So the icon would key your visitor into the name of your style, and its colourway.

Has anyone seen an add-on that would solve this problem? I'm definitely going to roll out wallpapers as part of my resources, but hoping an add-on will solve my problem of having my avatar as the 'preview' for the file.

+1 to this
i would prefer to put custom images in these boxes, rather than having image of the uploader

Has anyone seen an add-on that would solve this problem? I'm definitely going to roll out wallpapers as part of my resources, but hoping an add-on will solve my problem of having my avatar as the 'preview' for the file.

Agree 100%
I would pay 100$ EASY for this so I can ditch this damn CloneScript and use xenForo instead. Needless to say that I would be buying xenForo cause THEN I can use it for my needs. Anyone?

If you are afraid of small preview the show thumbnail with larger version on hover. Like themeforest.net does. The hover saves me a lot of time by allowing me to quickly browse themes without having to open each one

Top Bottom