/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/index.html

Mikey

So, /styles/default/xenforo/smilies/index.html is now included in the core of xenforo 1.0.0, and it is included as it is seen here on xenforo.com - as an advertisement to bbsmiley.com, as opposed to a blank index.html. In my (I am speaking on my own behalf) honest and personal opinion, all this does is makes XenForo Limited as a whole appear unprofessional.

You don't see any other commercial forum softwares who credit users/developers/graphics artists anywhere outside of the acp, do you? Including this unnecessary file as opposed to a blank index.html is just a little bit on the "weird" side... at least, it seems that way to me. Before anyone comments however.. know this:

Contrary to popular belief, I have no problem with Shelley (though she seems to have one with me), the new smilies are great, super, fantastic, lovely, albeit just a little bit girly for my tastes but that is why you left the doodle ones as an option, I get that.. Shelley deserves full credit for the smilies she has created, they're unique! Again though, the way you have done it (to me) appears a bit weird..

Your argument is going to be "well no one visits that page anyway".. My argument is; "if no one visits that page anyway, why include it, as opposed to making a "credits" page in the ACP properly accredditing Shelley for her contribution to the xenforo core, as opposed to a random index.html, which serves very little purpose." (of course, the credits page can also accredit future people who contribute to the xenforo core, as well as kier and mike)

I'm sure the least you can do to honour Shelley's contributions is to properly accredit her in some main credits area of the AdminCP of XenForo, and not in some obscure page which no one is ever going to visit..?

Of course, this is but a minor issue, but one I (me, no one else, i'm not speaking on anyone elses behalf. I felt the need to mention that as some people think that I do.) felt the need to voice my opinion on.

I hope that we can have a reasonable discussion about this, and that this post does not make me too unpopular...

Well .. "professionalism" aside .. I think it's actually a clever idea now that you mention it!

There actually might be a few people who do visit the smiley directory to see or even grab all available smileys .. those would likely only be power users with forums of their own looking to get the ones within whatever xF community they visit! So it's actually a very appropriate way to give credit and give back to whoever made the smileys! :)

Only serious problem (which I concede it is) is that the default page advertising for Shelley's site would still show up and advertise her site even if you upload a different set of smileys or mix/match smileys .. there is an issue there .. but in all honesty .. I don't feel it trumps my initial paragraph!

My BIGGEST issue with the smileys .. is how having the winky smiley tilted like that makes it look more like he's trying squeeze out a fart! lol

;) - Pfffffffft

I think people who contribute to XenForo deserve to be fully credited for their work, and in this case I felt that the most appropriate place to credit something as visible as the smilies was in public view. So it's not how it's usually done? Whatever, XenForo is not your normal software and we reject conventions where they are conventions for the sake of being conventions rather than being of any genuine benefit.

The page is not overtly advertised, as there are no links to it. If you don't use her smilies, you can remove the credit page.

Was it really worth creating a thread about this?

Was it really worth creating a thread about this?
Of course, this is but a minor issue, but one I (me, no one else, i'm not speaking on anyone elses behalf. I felt the need to mention that as some people think that I do.) felt the need to voice my opinion on.

I did highlight that it's a minor issue, and that I simply wanted to voice my opinion (or you can look at it from the other side of the coin, as concern that shelleys work is not getting the maximum exposure, if you like). Maybe I should have posted in "Suggestions" for a 'credits' page/area to be added to the admincp?

Anyway, sorry for wasting your time, and thank you for your official view point on the matter. If you like, you can close this..

(As a side note: Is it really 'worth' creating a thread about anything? Is that not the point of a discussion forum? I won't get into semantics as it is obvious what you think.)

Top Bottom