Lack of interest Style images don't export with themes

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Kim

Not sure if this is as expected or a bug... but when exporting/importing the images directories don't go with the theme.

If this is as expected may I ask you to consider making this possible - that the images either export automatically with the theme, or are separately export/importable.

For those of us contemplating producing Themes for sale this is pretty essential, as a lot of people do not have the ability to FTP an image directory into place, the potential for that to go wrong is very high.

Thanking you for your consideration.

:)

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hi Kim, I'm pretty sure is designed this way.
You only export the style.xml from xenforo admin cp.
You will need to back up the style image directory manually.
This is how it always worked on vBulletin. Does IPB let you export everything at once from the admin cp?
That would be handy, but what if you wanted to include extra documentation and files in your final package?

Hi Kim, I'm pretty sure is designed this way.
You only export the style.xml from xenforo admin cp.
You will need to back up the style image directory manually.
This is how it always worked on vBulletin. Does IPB let you export everything at once from the admin cp?
That would be handy, but what if you wanted to include extra documentation and files in your final package?

Hi Miko,

Yes in IPB you can export the Template and CSS changes (skin files) and also the Image Directory, and separately again the replacement Macros.

Very slick system that works really well, and is very easy for people to use.

Thanks for your answers,

Cheers!

Kim

I'm moving this to suggestions, as this is a feature we have not implemented at this point (on purpose) rather than a bug.

Sorry Miko just realised this bit... I never just deliver the Skin file anyway...

When you download one of my Skin zip files it contains...

Directory with the Skin, Images and Macro xml.gz Files (3 different files)
Directory with the PSD's for logo, Avatars, Team Icons etc
Directory with any distributable Fonts
Installation Instructions
Screenshot

The Customer then follows the installation guide and installs the Skin via the Invision ACP browse/upload function... it's a very easy install for them, although some still manage to have issues doing it, hence why I said the FTP route has potential to be more troublesome.

After having always created skins for vB, this was indeed an awesome surprise when I created my first skin for IPB. It makes importing/exporting skins much more pleasant. I'd love to see this added to XF :)

After spending part of my afternoon thinking about this I decided that i don't particularly like the idea of having my images packed automatically.

Why? Because I always had my client area creating the skin package for my client on the fly.
The benefit of this is that I can keep an identical directory on the server with all of the skin images.
If I need to update 1 image i can simply upload 1 image and not the whole package over and over for simple changes.
If someone is a forum webmaster, running a database driven html5 forum software like XenForo, surely it will have access to ftp/hosting file manager or shell to upload some images, don't you think so?

On the other hand I can see how it could be beneficial to some users but for my "selfish and personal needs", no thank you :D

Yeah, Miko, your situation is very unique and might apply to you and only you ;)

If someone is a forum webmaster, running a database driven html5 forum software like XenForo, surely it will have access to ftp/hosting file manager or shell to upload some images, don't you think so?

Indeed. They may have access to SSH as well, but that doesn't mean that we should make them use it to install a skin. It doesn't get any easier than doing everything via the XF AdminCP. Plus, just like me, I'm sure you've run into customers who don't know how to use FTP or upload your style images to the wrong directory. Most people don't have this problem, no, but there are a good number who do.

Yeah, Miko, your situation is very unique and might apply to you and only you ;)

Indeed. They may have access to SSH as well, but that doesn't mean that we should make them use it to install a skin. It doesn't get any easier than doing everything via the XF AdminCP. Plus, just like me, I'm sure you've run into customers who don't know how to use FTP or upload your style images to the wrong directory. Most people don't have this problem, no, but there are a good number who do.

I know..I know... that is why I had the "selfish and personal needs" ;)

And yes there are quite a few webmaster out there that somehow manage to install complex script like a forum and can't use ftp....

I do agree that would be good (for the user ;) ) being able to upload everything with XenForo Admin CP.

How's the XF skinning going Ryan?
I like what you have done with forumflux main website.

After spending part of my afternoon thinking about this I decided that i don't particularly like the idea of having my images packed automatically.

Why? Because I always had my client area creating the skin package for my client on the fly.
The benefit of this is that I can keep an identical directory on the server with all of the skin images.
If I need to update 1 image i can simply upload 1 image and not the whole package over and over for simple changes.

On the other hand I can see how it could be beneficial to some users but for my "selfish and personal needs", no thank you :D

We might not all have such a Fancy Pants system of delivery Miko :p

Top Bottom