Lack of interest Strip leading hash # from tags

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Sim

My members insist on tagging threads with hashtags - it would be useful to automatically strip the leading hash for any tags to save us from having to edit them all manually.

Actually, I can't really think of a use-case to keep hashtags anywhere in the string - so perhaps just strip them all?

However, as you can see in the example list below - there are many where they have just listed a string of hashtags for example:

Code:
#inspection #buildingandpest #ip #water

I think in this example, it's pretty obvious that the user intended there to be four separate tags - you could even go to the extent of automatically splitting strings like these into separate tags?

Actual examples:

upload_2017-3-22_9-19-57.webp

... there are several pages of these!

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Actually, I just found a heap of people using @ in their tags. I think they get confused between @mentions and #hashtags!

upload_2017-3-22_9-32-40.webp

Would be useful to be able to automatically strip @ symbols too and split them into multiple tags where there is a @string @with @multiple @'s in it

Isnt this a user education issue? IMO you are far better off educating your users on how to use tags (not use hash or at symbols) else it will continue to be used the same way by the users in the future.

Isnt this a user education issue? IMO you are far better off educating your users on how to use tags (not use hash or at symbols) else it will continue to be used the same way by the users in the future.

... which won't ever be a problem if the system auto-cleanses the tags.

No different to stripping other forms of punctuation which is already done by the system to normalise tags (for example: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tags-strip-trailing.102107/)

Why waste energy trying to educate people when you can just fix the problem fairly easily using technology?

Top Bottom