1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Stop Sidebar from moving down when smaller monitor

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by 51463, Apr 5, 2014.

1. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I was able to customize it from all shrinking down. But i can't seem to get the settings right or find the settings.

At the moment this is what happens when the screen gets smaller. The side bar goes down below the forum.

This is how i would like it to stay. Even if the screen gets smaller the sidebar would stay to the right. And most likey they would have to use the scroll bar to look to the right more.

what i want.jpg
  2. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

What are your setting here?

3. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

I figured it out!! All i had to do was disable the responsive design. When i did that it worked except my header moved down and broke it. So i just increased the non responsive minimum width.

There are my settings TZUXI6)O4D([$46%246LERW.jpg
  4. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

I don't recommend disabling the Responsive function. Members with mobile phones will need the Responsive mode to use your forum properly.
  5. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

I was thinking this too. But for now i don't get many hits from mobiles and my forum is based on pictures. So its best viewed on big screens.
  6. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

I think you would be surprised what the percentage of mobile phone users are on your forum. My forum has about 350K attachments and pictures are very popular, yet about 25% of all members that login to my forum are on mobile phone.
  7. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

Ya you're right. I'm going to have get someone eventaully to professionally skin my forum. Mobile is important now-a-days
  8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Serverguy, you could always drop the "Wide" value down in the screenshot above, I believe that's where the sidebar breaks normally, so if you take it from 800 down to say 650, the sidebar wouldn't drop until you reach 650px rather than 800px.
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of who you get, it won't be possible to keep the sidebar in line with the main content on narrow widths.
    There just isn't enough room, hence why it has been designed to drop below.
    AndyB and Amaury like this.
  10. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

The reason I don't want the sidebar to go down is i have a lot ads and I get quite a bit of clicks everyday. When i first got xenforo i hated the sidebar. But i found many useful things to do with it. Now i love the sidebar.

Now with the responsive design off. The sidebar doesnt go down and I can see the whole forum even on my mobile phone I still can see it. Thank you for everyones suggestions. I'm happy with it for now.
  11. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

How good does it look on a 3.5" iPhone 4 and lower or the new "large" (hah... they must have tiny hands) screened iPhone 5/5s. Need to pull out the magnifier to see it? You have to remember, not everybody that views your site has 20/20 vision or better. I know that if I visit a site on my iPhone 5s and it's normal desktop mode - I won't be back.
  12. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

Thats the problem. If someone is on a small phone. You can see the whole forum(and sidebar) but the writing is too small. So the user would have to zoom into whichever part of the website they want to see.
  13. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

And that is exactly why you need the responsive enabled. As @Russ indicated, you could drop the wide width down and that would fix some of the issues - but you are not going to get a desktop type experience on a small screen in an easily viewable format. It's all a compromise.
    Amaury likes this.
  14. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

I suggest you use the Responsive but create some CSS so that when a mobile user is viewing you place a small advertising appropriate for mobile phones. You can completely remove the sidebar in Responsive mode.