Staying sane? - 3rd week of stay-at-home order for us.

I've worked from home for the past seven years so no change there. My wife is a nurse so she still goes in as normal, a little extra overtime but still a normal routine on her floor. I've had a home gym for the past three years so not missing out there. The only thing that's driving me a little insane is the kids being home more than normal. 😵
Your wife is one of the heroes right now. Hope you guys are staying healthy and safe.

Your wife is one of the heroes right now. Hope you guys are staying healthy and safe.

Thank you Mike. I'm proud of her. We're lucky in the sense that we're expecting a little one and because she's pregnant the hospital won't let her near patients with any respiratory problems (potential COVID-19). So I'm thankful for that!

Visited your board and it's so clean and nice looking. I'm thinking of joining if you allow non-Christians. Spiritual discussions can be great with a neutral component. What do you think?

We aren't officially Christian even if most of us belong to some form of Christianity. I was actually Unitarian Universalist and bordering on atheist when it started, and am currently an unchurched agnostic with a slight progressive Christian leaning. And they let me run the place. :cool: We have some atheist members, though they've been fairly quiet recently. Alas, many of our older pagan, Muslim, etc. members fell by the wayside.

Thank you Mike. I'm proud of her. We're lucky in the sense that we're expecting a little one and because she's pregnant the hospital won't let her near patients with any respiratory problems (potential COVID-19). So I'm thankful for that!
My goodness, congratulations to you both. What a world, puts everything into perspective sometimes. Wish you both even more happiness. I just had one myself on Dec 30th. The rest of us priviledged to work at home are grateful to those who go to work every morning when they cannot stay home. And especially to healthcare workers.

...What a world, puts everything into perspective sometimes. Wish you both even more happiness. I just had one myself on Dec 30th. The rest of us priviledged to work at home are grateful to those who go to work every morning when they cannot stay home. And especially to healthcare workers.
The perspective that's coming to me is even the simplest responses to people are important. Your note says a lot Mike. Thanks for jumping in. Good model.

My daughter works at a vegetable/flower farm and asked for help planting yesterday. So I took some time off my programming job and planted potatoes and chives. Pretty sore muscles today, but loved the blue sky.

1587561039002.png

Last edited:
Currently missing the gym... a lot. Been working from home for the past almost 6 weeks now. Most of the time my department/team doesn't actually have any work (we get our work quarterly and usually finish it very fast and then it's usually late getting to us at the beginning of the next quarter, like this one for example), so with all of this free time I've been going down the self taught route of programming and started out with python. I've only just completed my first project which is a game of blackjack https://github.com/TheRevTasticTJ/blackjack.

I'm now soon to finish the course I was taking on udemy that I started at the end of March (it goes through all the fundamentals and then a few sections with cool projects you make while following along). Currently following along on a selenium project for automation and testing then onto machine learning (already completed a actual portfolio project using Flask, created a web scraper for hackernews, and did some scripting by making an image converter, pdf merger, password checker (to see if your password has ever been pwned), and sending texts with python).

After I finish the course I plan on continuing with the web development portion of the career field and my first big project will be a bug tracker built with Python, bootsrap, and maybe react if I decide to learn that. I'm also working on an automated time tracker and a discord bot.

My new 16in macbook pro also arrives Friday so I can finally code away from my desktop.

Currently missing the gym... a lot. Been working from home for the past almost 6 weeks now. Most of the time my department/team doesn't actually have any work (we get our work quarterly and usually finish it very fast and then it's usually late getting to us at the beginning of the next quarter, like this one for example), so with all of this free time I've been going down the self taught route of programming and started out with python. I've only just completed my first project which is a game of blackjack https://github.com/TheRevTasticTJ/blackjack.

I'm now soon to finish the course I was taking on udemy that I started at the end of March (it goes through all the fundamentals and then a few sections with cool projects you make while following along). Currently following along on a selenium project for automation and testing then onto machine learning (already completed a actual portfolio project using Flask, created a web scraper for hackernews, and did some scripting by making an image converter, pdf merger, password checker (to see if your password has ever been pwned), and sending texts with python).

After I finish the course I plan on continuing with the web development portion of the career field and my first big project will be a bug tracker built with Python, bootsrap, and maybe react if I decide to learn that. I'm also working on an automated time tracker and a discord bot.

My new 16in macbook pro also arrives Friday so I can finally code away from my desktop.
I picked C# instead of Python and then applied it by translating code for work from an old db lang. Your projects sound much more interesting and useful. WTG.

Since I work as a programmer during the day and have been on my machine quite a bit at night, I really needed to do something different.

I went back to an old hobby of small engine repair. (I know, way off topic) Our mail lady asked if she could drop off a chain saw that her husband was not about to fix. I said sure. I left it in the garage for a couple of days and decided to look at it today.

Drained the gas out of it and the fuel filter fell out with the gas. Looked inside and saw the hose from the filter to the exit was disconnected too. Exit hose is black. Piece of hose to filter was laying in the bottom of the tank.

View attachment 222408

So how do you fix this, particularly because that exit fixture is on the other side of the tank? My needle nose pliers wouldn't reach it with a new piece of hose and I wasn't about to go to the hardware store (stay at home!) for a longer pliers, although I could really use one like this:

View attachment 222411

I took the old hose out with a strong pull from above and threaded a new one through with a wire. See concept below. You trim the hose on an angle, pull it through from the inside of the tank on out, and you'll just be able to get the tip of the hose with a pliers. Pull and you're done.

View attachment 222409

Connect all the pieces and it's fixed:

View attachment 222410

I get to see if it starts tomorrow.

Have also been watching Quantastic on YouTube. The creativity of these artists can be amazing. Makes me wonder if there are any XF forums for artists. Would like to visit.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What have you been doing at home to stay sane?
Interesting thread. Some good posts in this one and good OP. :)

We're finding it a little tricky with having two of our children home. Don't want to say too much, but one is home on 'unofficial leave', the other is 12. Bit tricky but it's life. As for us, for me, doing a lot of gardening, teaching our youngest through discussions etc, playing more music (literally - bass and guitar)..
Trying to do more admin work. I have had a few wobbles in truth tbh, but yeah just trying to get through the day.
Started doing some cooking tips, recipes and such in threads and videos too.
Stay safe. :)

I have been doing lots of work to relaunch an old website:

https://www.talkdepression.org.uk

I feel like resources like this are going to become more and more important in the coming weeks and months.

We have a dedicared COVID-19 support area too.

Bless! If you ever need a hand with anything... that's a great site you have there and I can understand some of the subject matter. So if I can help, feel free to give me a nod.

That's a wonderful photo...
Thanks. I looked up during a break from being on my knees planting chives and there it was. Staring down at me.

I don't know how you people with kids are managing. Suddenly you're home-schooling or if you're lucky, supervising class work from their regular teachers online. I taught my own kids to read, but this is something completely different. Multiple subjects every day. You deserve a lot of credit as do our healthcare workers.

Thanks. I looked up during a break from being on my knees planting chives and there it was. Staring down at me.

I don't know how you people with kids are managing. Suddenly you're home-schooling or if you're lucky, supervising class work from their regular teachers online. I taught my own kids to read, but this is something completely different. Multiple subjects every day. You deserve a lot of credit as do our healthcare workers.
Most welcome my friend. It's a lovely photo...
This is a bit of a funny time of it.
I have been fortunate enough to bring one of my children up from birth to teen. The rest I was literally working stupid hours; they didn't see me nor me them. So I brought the youngest up, home schooled him. Taught him. He learnt A-Z and 1-100 by the time he was aged 18 months to 2. He was drawing with crayons and pencils aged 3.
I am the same I think, with you, teach skills, pass things down....
But, it's not curriculum. It's not GCSE (or equiv) standards.
I decided today that I will teach our youngest, by making discussions about fun facts and important facts. General knowledge. I.E we have starlings in our garden as well as sparrows and so forth.. so I made the discussion initially ornithology, then general nature wildlife, to micro extend; pollution, clouds, water system and so forth.
That side of it is amazing. I have always taught, every single child of ours, what is right from wrong, how to cook for themselves and how to clean wounds. Look after each other.

What I do not like about this.. they're fighting over the TV in our extension office-cum family room. They fight over silly stupid things. They fight over things that don't exist-
Bearing in mind, one is a soldier. The other (youngest) very Left Wing and loves all.. doesn't see gender or sexuality.
So they naturally clash.
It's made me and Mrs argue as I am in the middle, trying to keep people calm.
This pandemic will set the course for many people. Me, my wife.. you and yours included too.
I just hope we can stay together and get through it. All of us.
(Sorry for the ramble, I could probably add more but .. LOL)

Last edited:
My sister's grand children have to wear an adult t-shirt for 30 minutes when they start fighting. Two kids, one shirt. Now that's close. They don't like it at all. Then they are supervised through the resolution of the issue, which is probably worse because everybody has to compromise. Heh.

My sister's grand children have to wear an adult t-shirt for 30 minutes when they start fighting. Two kids, one shirt. Now that's close. They don't like it at all. Then they are supervised through the resolution of the issue, which is probably worse because everybody has to compromise. Heh.
. Oooof. :D
Glad it works for you & yours. :D

Last edited:
It's unconstitutional to lock down here.

So, it looks like we're going the "herd immunity" route as there's no enforcement to do otherwise.

Stay sane.

I picked C# instead of Python and then applied it by translating code for work from an old db lang. Your projects sound much more interesting and useful. WTG.

Thank you! I'm hoping to use the bug tracker as one of my main projects to use on my resume to hopefully get into the career field one day soon!

Top Bottom