Staying on Xenforo 1 or Upgrading

Upgrading or Staying

• Upgrading to Xenforo 2

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Staying on Xenforo 1

Votes: 30 28.8%

• Total voters
XF2.0 does not offer reasons compelling enough to upgrade, considering the effort and investment it would take to upgrade a big board with many addons and custom style. While XF2.0 certainly offers nice things, it does not solve the main problems we are encountering.
Once XF 2.1/2.2 is out I will re-evaluate if this does offer compelling reasons to make that investment and effort. And how XF will compare to IPS at that time. Until that time development for XF1 is ongoing.

yap then problems remains what i do with plugin for XF1, sell it, give it away, becouse most premium plugins i have need pay again for XF2, that why i am not decide to upgrade XF1 to XF2.

Hopefully we’ll get some have you seen threads for 2.1 soon, there’s been a bombardment of have you seens from IPB recently that look rather nice.

Spent about 6 hours last night upgrading my board. Reducing from about 30 or so add-ons down to three.
Language and style was amazingly fast to setup and its been quite better than I originally thought.

I had to pay again for the add-ons but its fine I guess, devs needs their income. So rather support that then they not migrating over at all.

All in all it was a good process with good descriptions on how to do it. Some minor things here and there, but nothing you cant solve with some Google-Fu and devs helping out.

I’d like to think everyone will upgrade soon! I think support for older XF1 apps is going to be thinning out. When I was on vBulletin when VB 4 was released I noticed most developers switched over then when VB 5 came out everyone flocked over to Xenforo... I just think the more of us switch over now the better support we’ll have for third party app development.

there is forrum owners with custom setup style, custom plugins, custom codes, over 70 add ons installed and more, so tell us @CoZmicShReddeR they will upgrade soon, that is nonsens.And owners with mentioned above need 5K and more to even think about upgrade to XF2.

Last edited:
I'll be converting in the next few weeks. I've been slowly (very slowly) porting our style to XF2, an effort which makes me appreciate just how many little touches the original designer did for us. I think I'm at the point with the style where parity at least has been achieved with some tweaks (like replacing gradient png images in some spots with gradient CSS background definitions). Doing the style conversion myself has been good so I'm forced to get familiar with the XF2 templates & classes. Now I'm looking towards the add-ons.

With the add-ons I'm looking at the possible replacements for the Luke's 'post ratings' (at the moment I'm leaning towards Xon's, already picked up a license to play with) and then coming up with a stand-alone solution for lazy loading YouTube videos. In the short term we'll be losing Brogan's Featured Threads and Chris's Competitions, everything is small little bespoke stuff that I'll either drop or work on post migration,

Last edited:
I'll be converting in the next few weeks. I've been slowly (very slowly) porting our style to XF2, an effort which makes me appreciate just how many little touches the original designer did for us. I think I'm at the point with the style where parity at least has been achieved with some tweaks (like replacing gradient png images in some spots with gradient CSS background definitions). Doing the style conversion myself has been good so I'm forced to get familiar with the XF2 templates & classes. Now I'm looking towards the add-ons.

With the add-ons I'm looking at the possible replacements for the Luke's 'post ratings' (at the moment I'm leaning towards Xon's, already picked up a license to play with) and then coming up with a stand-alone solution for lazy loading YouTube videos. In the short term we'll be losing Brogan's Featured Threads and Chris's Competitions, everything is small little bespoke stuff that I'll either drop or work on post migration,
Is that the style that @Kim did for you way back when?

I ended up making a Taiga Kanban board to track where we are on what add-ons need to be updated. There are two existing add-ons we need to be updated before we can move to XF2, one add-on we I want to wait for which we've not purchased yet to see if it a adds functionality that it needs to be useful for my site, and then a custom add-on that will need to be upgraded.

Gives me time to go through the changes for design stuff to work out things to make my life simpler in the future so that I can make a style for the site.

Is that the style that @Kim did for you way back when?
It's now a descendant of it, but, yes, the majority of it is from Kim. :D Kim originally did a blue/pinkmagenta design for "Cool Sci-Fi" and then a darker silver/red design. Over the years we've seen taken up the "Alien Soup" mantle so the logo is now different but most of the rest of the style is still Kim's with slight tweaking here & there. When digging into all of the little touches she did like subtle gradient backgrounds, container shadows, and corner radius settings in even the most obscure of places, it makes me appreciate her work even more. For "Day 1" of migration I'm porting our darker red/silver design over to XF2 and then after I'll be going back working on a light version of it.

I'll be converting in the next few weeks
... and I migrated this past weekend. (y) https://AlienSoup.com

There's still a few style tweaks that are bugging me so I'll be continuing them as we go. Except for the style conversion, the rest of the migration was pretty easy and with the CLI upgrade commands the actual database updates (and rebuilding the search index) was done pretty fast.

For add-ons I chucked a bunch of things and am down to XFMG, XFRM, Content Ratings by Xon, RSS Feed Filter by Snog, Chat by Siropu, and I did a quick YouTube Lazy Load solution (we have a giant "https://aliensoup.com/threads/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now.79" thread and a user who only has access only via an iPhone was having issues loading the page so I needed to implement something on Day 1 of migration). If/when Competitions by Chris and Featured Threads by Brogan are made available for XF2 they'll be updated as well.

With Chat I made the mistake of not taking note of what I had the usergroup permissions set to so I had to redo them as we ended up uninstalling Chat 1 for a clean install of Chat 2. D'oh! :oops:

@Kevin I came across some stray Alien Soup design files, pictures, and other stuff..

When I get some free time I'll get them zipped up and over to you... ;)

@Kevin I came across some stray Alien Soup design files, pictures, and other stuff..

When I get some free time I'll get them zipped up and over to you... ;)

I’d be wary of Kevin if I were you. He seems to think you guys are some kind of delicacy round these here parts 😳

I’d be wary of Kevin if I were you. He seems to think you guys are some kind of delicacy round these here parts 😳

Oh? Care to elaborate on that point? :)

To be honest, most of my projects are pretty tasty... Although Alien Soup could have benefited from a bit more Carolina Reaper pepper!

Top Bottom