Stanford univercity to offer FREE online courses

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
All I can say is, about time a univercity took the opposite aproach, help the masses opposed to how much can they squeeze every student for.

Stanford Engineering professors are offering three of the school’s most popular computer science courses for free online this fall, and at the same time launching an experiment that could transform the way online education is delivered.

The professors are taking technologies designed to enhance learning for Stanford students and extending them to a broad online audience. They are delivering lectures as short, interactive video clips that allow students to progress at their own pace through course materials. They are offering live quizzes with instant feedback. And they are testing new technologies that allow students to rank questions that should be posed to the instructors.

The professors also hope to extend the benefits of Stanford-style education to those who lack access.
“Both in the United States and elsewhere, many people simply do not have access to a high-quality education. By putting out this initial set of courses, we hope to teach some of the latest computing technologies to anyone who wants to learn it – for free,” said Andrew Ng, an associate professor of computer science who is teaching a new online machine learning course.

The three courses – Machine Learning, Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Introduction to Databases – cover material that forms the basis of some of the most prevalent technologies today, from online shopping to web search and robotics

Full Read

Most Universities barely make back what classes cost from tuition.

Yet go to sweden or finland and get a full univercity tuition for free.

I am of the standing, if someone wants to have a higher education, they should be able to do so regardless of their background and if they can afford it or not.

I never attended univercity myself, I left 6th form with A* in business studies, A* in economics, A+ in psycology and A in biology. I was offered all of the places I applied to, but decided against univercity as I had no idea what would be best for me to follow? biotechnology, law, business? If I were to take up a univercity course now... 4 years later what would I do? Still no idea. If i knew what I wanted to achieve in life I would be very happy, as I wouldn't be sat around running my own business with 3 employees, bored out my mind, I would have something to aim for.

Yet people I went to 6th form with, an exact plan of what they wanted to do, couldn't go simply because they couldn't afford to go.

Fair? No way.

Yet go to sweden or finland and get a full univercity tuition for free.

I am of the standing, if someone wants to have a higher education, they should be able to do so regardless of their background and if they can afford it or not.

I never attended univercity myself, I left 6th form with A* in business studies, A* in economics, A+ in psycology and A in biology. I was offered all of the places I applied to, but decided against univercity as I had no idea what would be best for me to follow? biotechnology, law, business? If I were to take up a univercity course now... 4 years later what would I do? Still no idea. If i knew what I wanted to achieve in life I would be very happy, as I wouldn't be sat around running my own business with 3 employees, bored out my mind, I would have something to aim for.

Yet people I went to 6th form with, an exact plan of what they wanted to do, couldn't go simply because they couldn't afford to go.

Fair? No way.

The US is larger than both of those countries put together, and probably has more Universities. Also Universities are privately owned (Harvard for example is a corporation).

Now, community college is more viable, and has been done (California for example use to have free community college till sometimes in the 80's iirc).

The US is larger than both of those countries put together, and probably has more Universities. Also Universities are privately owned (Harvard for example is a corporation).

Now, community college is more viable, and has been done (California for example use to have free community college till sometimes in the 80's iirc).

I am moaning generally about the UK univercities. In case you didnt know next year they will be allowed to charge students up to £9000 (nearly $15,000) PER YEAR. Not surprisingly, the majority of univercities have set their fees to this £9000 figure.

Take a standard 4-6 year course. Could you afford to stump up $60,000-$90,000 of debt when you were 18?

I am moaning generally about the UK univercities. In case you didnt know next year they will be allowed to charge students up to £9000 (nearly $15,000) PER YEAR. Not surprisingly, the majority of univercities have set their fees to this £9000 figure.

Take a standard 4-6 year course. Could you afford to stump up $60,000-$90,000 of debt when you were 18?
$15,000 is about the standard price for courses in the US for University as well.

While free University is nice, how do you expect them to support themselves...? Again, tuition doesn't exactly cover their expenses in the first place (At least here).

$15,000 is about the standard price for courses in the US for University as well.

While free University is nice, how do you expect them to support themselves...? Again, tuition doesn't exactly cover their expenses in the first place (At least here).

They should support themseleves by removing the horrific inefficiencies that plague the univercity system.

However, as per other countries, univercity should be state funded or heavily subsidiesed for those who wish to go. Your financial background should make ZERO difference to your ability to have a good education.

The university I wanted to go to has a tuition rate of $43,160 meaning I'd have racked up $172,640 in tuition alone. I went someone much cheaper, but for reasons out of my control. You go where you love, and where you'll get a good education in your field.

They don't get the full tuition all at once, but over a period of time. Even factoring in all the students, the amount they take in can't be enough to run such a large institution.

Have you got any figures to back his up? I had a quick look and couldn't find a financial report for a handful of US univercities I tried.

However, if you look for financial reports of uk univercities, nearly all of them are turning a significant profit.

Have you got any figures to back his up? I had a quick look and couldn't find a financial report for a handful of US univercities I tried.

However, if you look for financial reports of uk univercities, nearly all of them are turning a significant profit.
US and UK universities are completely different :rolleyes:.

Also, my statement is from talking to staff at a polytech here in CA this last spring while I was giving a presentation for my work. While it might be the same for all universities, it is probably likely for the majority.

US and UK universities are completely different :rolleyes:.

Also, my statement is from talking to staff at a polytech here in CA this last spring while I was giving a presentation for my work. While it might be the same for all universities, it is probably likely for the majority.

In all honesty, you say the majority of the universities in the us are privately owned. Do you not think its naive
to think an independent company would be willing to run at a loss? If they are independently owned, then it is even more likely they are turning a profit than state owned ones.

Top Bottom