standing desk

Jake Bunce

Has anyone ever tried a 'standing desk'?

standing-at-desk_360.webp

I was reading about them online. Everyone who uses them says they are great after your body adjusts. Standing instead of sitting is supposed to yield great benefits in terms of core strength, posture, and general health.

I just bought one of these risers to convert my current desk:

http://www.lampsusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=129592

While I wait to receive it I am using a couple of old LCD boxes laid flat to create a similar platform.

Has anyone ever tried a 'standing desk'?

View attachment 17023

I was reading about them online. Everyone who uses them says they are great after your body adjusts. Standing instead of sitting is supposed to yield great benefits in terms of core strength, posture, and general health.

I just bought one of these risers to convert my current desk:

http://www.lampsusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=129592

While I wait to receive it I am using a couple of old LCD boxes laid flat to create a similar platform.

It all depends. I found them to be uncomfortable using anything that entailed using the mouse. However, when I sketched mockups, portraits and general doodling it allows more freedom to draw from certain angles where you can bend your body than if you were had you been parked on your backside on a chair. For me, it depended on the type of work I was doing.

Just avoid the slow walking treadmill desks. My boss had one and I tried it out... no good, lol. Got dizzy, ahah.

I have a few SIT STAND keyboard trays.
I bought them when I hurt my back and couldn't sit down.
IS-SS-lrg3.jpg

Essentially the low position allows you to sit and type ... but you can move the keyboard up quite a bit, so you can stand when you want.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For the most part I just sit down, but to test it out I am standing up right now :)

it seems to be more popular this year than others, and doing work standing is great for the body. Everything in moderation of course. Go for it jake

these arent uncommon in kitchen environments.
working in a kitchen is 10+ hours a day on your feet, and once you sit down at the comp to do ordering or whatnot it really saps you when you have to stand back up.

I've been thinking of getting one of those, but certainly do want a desk that will allow me to sit down in front of it once in a while too.

I think those desks would be just brilliant. Would they be better for bad postures?

I've seen these on CSI: Miami.

Just sayin...
Off topic .... They were going to make a CSI: Wolverhampton (where i live) but they found it impossible since everyone has the same DNA and no teeth.

We have desks like this at work (plus wheels). I haven't really taken advantage of the ability to stand up while working but it is definitely nice when I switch to sitting on a yoga ball. Also, the wheels and built in power strip are key as we move offices quite frequently.

I can see that to some people this would probably be beneficial, but I think I would be way to distracted to accomplish anything. Standing up all of the time would make it way too easy for me to loose focus and wonder off.

Top Bottom