1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

standing desk

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jake Bunce, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone ever tried a 'standing desk'?

I was reading about them online. Everyone who uses them says they are great after your body adjusts. Standing instead of sitting is supposed to yield great benefits in terms of core strength, posture, and general health.

I just bought one of these risers to convert my current desk:

While I wait to receive it I am using a couple of old LCD boxes laid flat to create a similar platform.
    Saeed, Onimua, EQnoble and 2 others like this.
  2. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

I tried it once before but it wasn't as comfortable and handy as sitting down for me.
  3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I need to get me one of those desks!
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I've seen these on CSI: Miami.

Just sayin...
  5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

It all depends. I found them to be uncomfortable using anything that entailed using the mouse. However, when I sketched mockups, portraits and general doodling it allows more freedom to draw from certain angles where you can bend your body than if you were had you been parked on your backside on a chair. For me, it depended on the type of work I was doing.
  6. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Just avoid the slow walking treadmill desks. My boss had one and I tried it out... no good, lol. Got dizzy, ahah.
  7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I have a few SIT STAND keyboard trays.
    I bought them when I hurt my back and couldn't sit down.
    Essentially the low position allows you to sit and type ... but you can move the keyboard up quite a bit, so you can stand when you want.

For the most part I just sit down, but to test it out I am standing up right now :)
  8. Floris

Floris Guest

it seems to be more popular this year than others, and doing work standing is great for the body. Everything in moderation of course. Go for it jake
  9. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

these arent uncommon in kitchen environments.
    working in a kitchen is 10+ hours a day on your feet, and once you sit down at the comp to do ordering or whatnot it really saps you when you have to stand back up.
  10. Sean James

Sean James Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Star Trek, they always work while standing.
  11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of getting one of those, but certainly do want a desk that will allow me to sit down in front of it once in a while too.
  12. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

buy a barstool
  13. leftie

leftie Active Member

I think those desks would be just brilliant. Would they be better for bad postures?

Off topic .... They were going to make a CSI: Wolverhampton (where i live) but they found it impossible since everyone has the same DNA and no teeth.
    Mikey likes this.
  14. Jake Bunce

Day 2 of standing.

Low back hurts. Feet hurt.

Middle and upper back feel much better. Hips and sacrum feel better.

Very much so.
  15. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I saw one of these in Numb3rs the other day :D
  16. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

It's tiring standing in one place for long periods. Much easier on you if you walk around.
  17. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

I worked at a stand-up desk for five or six years. Once you get used to it (and you will, even if it feels like you won't) it will feel odd to sit down to work.
  18. tonjohn

tonjohn Member

We have desks like this at work (plus wheels). I haven't really taken advantage of the ability to stand up while working but it is definitely nice when I switch to sitting on a yoga ball. Also, the wheels and built in power strip are key as we move offices quite frequently.
  19. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

I can see that to some people this would probably be beneficial, but I think I would be way to distracted to accomplish anything. Standing up all of the time would make it way too easy for me to loose focus and wonder off.
  20. Jake Bunce

3 weeks later...

My hips and low back finally stopped hurting. I can now stand all day without taking breaks. I am better for it, but it sure took a long time to adjust.
    Kim, Saeed and Bob like this.