1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SQL Tuner help?

Discussion in 'General PHP and MySQL Discussions' started by xenTheory, Aug 4, 2013.

1. xenTheory

xenTheory Active Member

The largest database on the server my forum is on is the xenForo database at 600MB. I've run MySQLTuner and these are the results, I think it's set up well enough but not really too sure. Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

The most important issue with your config is your RAM usage.

Is this a dedicated database server? If not, 81% of your ram is dedicated to Mysql which is too much. You only have 19% for OS, webserver, PHP, cache, applications...

Your highest usage of connections is only 1% so you are probably wasting a lot of memory. Do you really need 5000 concurrent connections? Remember, 5000 concurrent connections is not equal 5000 concurrent users as not every users is loading a page at the same time. If you adjust your connections to 5000 instead of 5000 Mysql will use much less memory.

3. xenTheory

xenTheory Active Member

Hi Walter and thank you for replying.

Yes, it's a dedicated server - one I use only for my own sites. I have customers' sites on other server but those are correctly configured for a shared environment and run well. It's just this one that I'm confused with :p

I thought it might be useful to paste the my.cnf I've made for this server @Walter

If you have the time, and would mind taking a look at the above, I would greatly appreciate it. Again thank you.

4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

You haven't really answered my two questions :)
    (no pun intended)

Is this a dedicated database server (=only used as a database server = has no web server or other apps on it)?
    Same about my question regarding connections.

5. xenTheory

xenTheory Active Member

Sorry @Walter

It's not a dedicated database server and I don't think 5000 is really needed but I'm not too sure - for my other servers I use a very simple set up and that works for purpose.

6. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

5,000 is a rather high number! You could probably set it down 1,000 (even lower than that more than likely)

7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Exactly :)

8. dbembibre

dbembibre Active Member

You can down max_connections to 500 without problems.