• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[splendidpoint.com] AntiSPAM - Prevent Links and Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadik B

This plugin allows you to prevent certain usergroups from posting links and email addresses until they reach a certain number of posts set by you. This will throw an error message denying the content which contains the links / Emails.

Features (Version 1.0.1, released on 15th Dec 2011)
  • Can set no. of posts in AdminCP
  • Can select which usergroups the limit applies to. Admins and Mods are automatically exempt.
  • Checks for links and email addresses in
    • New Thread
    • Editing Post
    • New Conversation
    • Editing Conversation
    • Reply to Conversation
    • Profile Posts
    • Editing Profile Posts
    • Commenting on Profile Posts
    • Signatures (There is an AdminCP Option for this)
  • Uses Phrase AntiSPAM_posts_error_message for the error message displayed.
Limitations
  • Currently I am using Regex to check for links and email addresses. While the check works perfectly, regex isn't the most efficient way of doing this. Very very busy boards should know this before installing. I plan to run the text through Xenforo's link parser sometime in future.
This has been tested on my Xampp localhost and is live on SplendidPoint. There *may* be bugs though unlikely as the code is very clean and simple.

This was created and tested on XF 1.0.4 and XF 1.1.0.

Let me know if you face any problems with it.

Attachments

If the user has 0 messages, then displays the following: " You cannot post links or email addresses until you have 10 posts. This is to prevent SPAM " Even if in the settings put 5 or 15, still displays 10.

Ok Changed Phrase text. Now it says,

You have insufficient number of posts to post links or email addresses. This is to prevent SPAM

instead of specifying number of posts.

No need to disclose to the spammer how much they need. I see no reason to even report back an error.
Just filter the content by moderating the post?

No need to disclose to the spammer how much they need. I see no reason to even report back an error.
Just filter the content by moderating the post?
This does not moderate the post. This totally denies the post. I can see that some people may like that posts with links get moderated instead of denied, I will see if it's simple enough to provide as an option.

Before I review changing from Borbole's to this, as this covers profile content as well, awesome by the way... have you checked whether this works when editing the post? That was a problem with Borboles initially.... you could post normally, no links, then edit, and the links would pass without the error message.

Without having looked at this, is this so with this mod right from start?

Before I review changing from Borbole's to this, as this covers profile content as well, awesome by the way... have you checked whether this works when editing the post? That was a problem with Borboles initially.... you could post normally, no links, then edit, and the links would pass without the error message.

Without having looked at this, is this so with this mod right from start?

• Checks for links and email addresses in New Thread, Reply, Editing Post, New Conversation, Editing Conversation, Reply to Conversation, Profile Posts, Editing Profile Posts and Commenting on Profile Posts.
:) In short yes...

I've always thought putting a barrier to use through post count actually ENCOURAGES spam... not marketting spam, but user ******** post spam. When someone sees that they need X number of posts before they can do something, they will reach X number of posts by any means necessary. Even if it means making ******** posts that most members hate.

I've always thought putting a barrier to use through post count actually ENCOURAGES spam... not marketting spam, but user bull**** post spam. When someone sees that they need X number of posts before they can do something, they will reach X number of posts by any means necessary. Even if it means making bull**** posts that most members hate.

I do not disagree, that's why I set my limit very small. Maybe 5 posts or even 3. The thing is there is absolutely no other way to stop human spammers. I do not let people know how many posts they need in the error message, just telling them "They have insufficient posts". If someone asks by PC or profile msg, I tell them so usually genuine users understand and don't mind and it gets rid of ALL of the human spammers.

Beautiful... uninstalled Borboles, installed this one. Great work Sadikb. Really a pleasure to see modders applying the same level of detail to mods as XF to the software, with full integration, not just this bit or that bit.

Though I have to admit, I am too lazy to be called a modder... :)
I just hope that you keep updating the mod once new versions of xenForo are released, xD

I'm on my mobile, so tomorrow I'm going to install this mod @ my forum.

Thanks!

I just hope that you keep updating the mod once new versions of xenForo are released, xD

I'm on my mobile, so tomorrow I'm going to install this mod @ my forum.

Thanks!

Absolutely! Actually what I meant by "lazy" was to create Mods for other people which I don't use myself. This Mod I use on my own site so it definitely will get updated.

I've just installed this mod at my forum.

@SadiKB - Will it be possible in the next update to allow internal links and disallow external links?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom