1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spider recognition

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Dream, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Dream

Dream Active Member

I worked a while back on the main spiders database for vBulletin, which is now being run by Mosh.

Does xenForo have a spider recognition system that uses a xml? If it has, I could talk to Mosh so the list he is maintaining also supports the xenForo xml format. It has 500 or so spiders.
    Forsaken likes this.
  2. chousho

chousho Well-Known Member

Their software works pretty much like this:

Not a Spider:
    Dragonfly and Tyler like this.
  3. Dream

Dream Active Member

Sorry is this a trolling post? :confused: lol
  4. Floris

Floris Guest

I think Cho is just trying to have a bit of fun, but it's not the offtopic forum :)

When I go to 'online users' here, I do not see the IP, but I also dont' see search engine bots specified.
  5. Dream

Dream Active Member

I see, must be something that will be looked into at a later date. Thanks Floris.
  6. James

James Well-Known Member

Feel free to make a suggestion, I'm sure a lot of forum owners would like to know how many bots have crawled their forum over a period of time!
  7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I think this is more of an admin thing than a user thing as a user don't really care about spiders etc. With that being said, Google Analytics shows you how much spiders crawls the website and xenForo has Google Anal integration so i don't think searching each user's IP to determine if it's a spider or not is such a good idea as the feature is already there.
  8. James

James Well-Known Member

Bad abbreviation

Yeah, this should be an admin feature rather than a user one. Users don't care about spiders, they just want more users.

Google Analytics has this yeah, would be awesome if we could access it via the XF ACP though!

9. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Im pretty sure The Analytics API has some kind of method to pull in the info as i've seen it done on another forum. Ill have to verify that though.
  10. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Yep, I always kept track of spiders on my forum.
  11. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Yeh, you've got to keep track of the spiders on your forum, or the forumchicks will start complaining about them. ;)

It's one of the more basic functions of all forumsoftware, so I'd be surprised if XF wouldn't get it.
  12. DaKat

DaKat Well-Known Member

I like to keep an eye on which ones crawl my site, too.
  13. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

What for I need this information?
    Help me
  14. Kuma

Kuma Active Member

Never understood why people were so worried about what spiders were browsing their site.
  15. Dream

Dream Active Member

For me, it's knowing who is a human guest (lurker) and who's not.
  16. Kuma

Kuma Active Member

Do you really spend all of your time watching who's online? If I know who the major SE's are, I really do not care about random tiny search engines.

It is easy to spoof a user-agent anyway.
  17. Floris

Floris Guest

I used to idle on who's online just to see where traffic would come from. I've learned over the years it doesn't benefit or improve my day :)
  18. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

19. Dream

Dream Active Member

Just a question of knowing who are humans, nothing so complicated as to live inside the WOL page. But I won't die of suffocation if this feature isn't there.
  20. ijeffers

ijeffers Active Member

This is possible, I'm using a wordpress plugin which does it at the moment. It displays the visitors graph, site usage, top pages, top referrers and top searches on the dashboard which is pretty hand to have.