Browser issue  spell checker behavior inconsistent

User

The first line in a post (line as in between the start of the post and hitting the enter key) appears to always be spell checked correctly. In the second and subsequent lines the spell checker fails under the following conditions:

A single misspelled word on a line that is not followed by a space. So if I write 'lhflshf' and hit enter right away the spell checker doesn't pick up that there's something wrong.
If a misspelled word is followed by a space then the spell checker does display the misspelled word, however, if that misspelling isn't fixed before hitting the enter key to advance to the next line it will no longer be underlined once the enter key has been hit.

This may be related to: [Browser Bug] Spell checker not working properly
This issue occurs in Firefox 4.0.1 and Chrome 11.0.696.65. I understand that it may be between TinyMCE and the browsers but if that were the case then I would expect for it to be consistently off, not inconsistently with the first line always retaining the underline whereas following lines do not.

The first line in a post (line as in between the start of the post and hitting the enter key) appears to always be spell checked correctly. In the second and subsequent lines the spell checker fails under the following conditions:

A single misspelled word on a line that is not followed by a space. So if I write 'lhflshf' and hit enter right away the spell checker doesn't pick up that there's something wrong.
If a misspelled word is followed by a space then the spell checker does display the misspelled word, however, if that misspelling isn't fixed before hitting the enter key to advance to the next line it will no longer be underlined once the enter key has been hit.

This may be related to: [Browser Bug] Spell checker not working properly
This issue occurs in Firefox 4.0.1 and Chrome 11.0.696.65. I understand that it may be between TinyMCE and the browsers but if that were the case then I would expect for it to be consistently off, not inconsistently with the first line always retaining the underline whereas following lines do not.

I don't understand your point, in every case you put it it's a Browser Bug...

I don't understand your point, in every case you put it it's a Browser Bug...
Maybe, I don't know enough about it. However, if it were a browser bug then I would expect it to occur consistently regardless of which line of the editor I am in. As is the first line in the editor behaves as expected, misspelled words are found and they remain underlined whether you hit enter or not. For all following lines the underline is lost as soon as one hits enter.

Maybe, I don't know enough about it. However, if it were a browser bug then I would expect it to occur consistently regardless of which line of the editor I am in. As is the first line in the editor behaves as expected, misspelled words are found and they remain underlined whether you hit enter or not. For all following lines the underline is lost as soon as one hits enter.

No, it can be browser related that it only is the first line :)

That is a strange issue, but unfortunately we don't control the spell checker behavior at all -- the browser implements that entirely.

Again, I am no expert, but I don't see this behavior in any other editor, not in competing forum products (which I do use frequently) nor in web forms (which I only use infrequently), which does beg the question whether there is a problem with the editor rather than the spellchecker. It's not a critical issue of course but still.

Top Bottom