Specs for a Development Server

Bashful

I'm setting up a side VPS to isolate all development.

I'm going to be removing most users, probably cutting down the posts, etc.

Essentially it'll be a very small board and the maximum amount of users on concurrently will be 5-10 people.

I was thinking of going with a 15GB SSD, 786MB RAM and 1 core.

I'll be hosting MySQL and Cpanel on the same box, and as such I'm worried about performance but I don't really know if I'll need more. Just trying to save costs haha.

Thanks.

Why not just use shared hosting?
This is cheaper. $5 a month for this server, $10 if I go with more. I'm sort of re-thinking this. I was originally going to put a Project Management Suite on the server and decided not to, which is why I was going to go with another server anyway. I can always just host it in a separate instance on my current server though.

Question still stands though, I'm curious to what the bare minimum for an effective installation would be.

The server requirements are listed here at the bottom left: https://xenforo.com/purchase/

There's also a script which can be run.

XF can run on the most basic of shared hosting so the specs in your first post will be more than adequate.

cPanel might make it a problem. But I run a $5 a month DO VPS that is public facing with low traffic. Cant remember if thats 512 or 1024 mb of ram. But It's very much possible to get a well tuned MySQL or MariaDB and NGINX setup to support a 250 concurrent user load bench with 768 mb of ram. Out of the box it won't lol. Have to disable performance schema to keep mysql from eating a ton of ram for, in our case, no reason.

If you're using CentOS 7, cPanel will not even install with less than 1GB of RAM anymore.

Top Bottom