Spanish police arrest 3 in PlayStation Network hacks

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/pa-dss_v2.pdf

Q: What is PCI?
A: The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a set of requirements designed to ensure that ALL companies that process, store or transmit credit card information maintain a secure environment. Essentially any merchant that has a Merchant ID (MID).
The Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC) was launched on September 7, 2006 to manage the ongoing evolution of the Payment Card Industry (PCI) security standards with focus on improving payment account security throughout the transaction process. The PCI DSS is administered and managed by the PCI SSC (www.pcisecuritystandards.org), an independent body that was created by the major payment card brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and JCB.).
It is important to note, the payment brands and acquirers are responsible for enforcing compliance, not the PCI council.
A copy of the PCI DSS is available here.
Q: To whom does PCI apply?
A: PCI applies to ALL organizations or merchants, regardless of size or number of transactions, that accepts, transmits or stores any cardholder data. Said another way, if any customer of that organization ever pays the merchant directly using a credit card or debit card, then the PCI DSS requirements apply.

The more people push this the more I want Sony Execs on trial for insecurely storing and transmitting my data. I trusted them with my information and that is the end of it. The only reason the people were able to do what they did was because sony was cutting corners. I have nothing invested in the hackers but pressing the issue makes me want to stand against Sony because I don't think it's fair that Sony as the custodian of my online account data was negligible and can walk away free of criminal charges while the people who are responsible in the end for getting the process started of making changes to fix the problems. They engaged in a criminal act and have been sentenced. A company that makes as much money as Sony does to do such an irresponsible thing is worse than a couple of people on keyboards. Sony is the ROOT cause of the problem.

In relation to a previous comparison here in this post...if you were to get your home burglarized it is a crime where you are the victim...if you have a firearm in your domicile and it is not secured safely and it get's used in a crime you may then become a criminal party. With great power comes great responsibility.

What do I expect from hackers...to hack things.

What do I expect from a large company which I have invested in and trust with my personal info...for them to not violate a trust that can cost me ...especially something like my identity.

Yet, it is NOT ILLEGAL to store this information against PCI regulations.
It IS ILLEGAL to hack into system.
It IS ILLEGAL to obtain information which you do not have appropriate permission to.

Sony will NEVER be prosecuted criminally for this, because , despite their serious error, they did nothing illegal

And all the more reason that I am getting more upset at sony as this thread continues.

I would hope if my house is burning down someone would trespass in order to save anyone in danger.

The 3 spaniards (age 30-33) are accused of *MUCH* more than hacking the Playstation network. The original titles of published articles are misleading. Hackers disrupt elections, banks, governments, political parties AND the Sony PlayStation network.

A computer server in one of their homes was used to take part in cyber attacks on targets including two major Spanish banks, the Italian energy company Enel and the governments of Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Iran, Chile, Colombia and New Zealand, Vazquez said.

The server had also been used to hack into an online Playstation store, but Vazquez said the three detainees had not been involved in an April cyber intrusion which affected millions of PlayStation Network users.

In Spain, acting on their own, the three detainees staged cyber attacks on the website of Spain's central electoral commission a few days before local and regional elections on May 22, that of the regional police force in the northeast Catalonia region and a major Spanish labour union.

The night before the election, the three men tried to shut down the web pages of Spain's two main political parties and that of the Spanish parliament but were thwarted by police, Vazquez said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wo...ternational-cyber-attack-group-anonymous.html

The 3 spaniards (age 30-33) are accused of *MUCH* more than hacking the Playstation network. The original titles of published articles are misleading. Hackers disrupt elections, banks, governments, political parties AND the Sony PlayStation network.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wo...ternational-cyber-attack-group-anonymous.html
See that is what I am arguing. Hackers don't do anything wrong....criminals do. And when someone does a crime and gets caught they do time...it is done. Those three guys are going to get time for whatever they did.

I am a hacker, I hack anything I can get my hands on that interests me. Does it mean computers?...no. Does it mean I do bad things...no. I am a hacker...so saying hackers do all these bad things is kind of stepping on a lot of toes. I mean one person is a murderer if they ax-murder someone...would that make every lumberjack a possible ax murderer?

It does not excuse Sony for their error in judgement.

I will drop my arguement here the second someone from sony goes to jail and not some low level Joe. I want a high level person who could have changed sony's insecurities from the start and didn't...to see bars and bricks.

Ill tell you right now...proving your identity once it's stolen is tough and a pain in the ass for a lifetime. I blame sony for putting my information out there. My identity has been stolen before and I am telling you if you get tens of thousands $debt and monies owed for stuff you didn't buy, you might change your tune a bit. Then try to prove you didn't buy something that is attached to a credit card you never had in your name. Info thieves exist whether or not this event happened at sony. The knew that...they deal with tangible loss everyday. For that reason it is their fault for not hardening their security so that just 3 people could not take control of a network millions of people trust(ed).

Yes, which makes you a CRIMINAL. Have you never heard of ethical hacking?
And just how would you know that I'm a 'criminal'? I've NEVER once 'hacked into something I don't have permission to be into'.
THAT IS ILLEGAL. There is no 'grey area' here. Just because you want to excuse a bunch of idiotic teens for stealing information, for hacking into things they had NO RIGHT being into doesn't make it right.

Ethical hacking? That's merely an excuse for individuals to pass off what they do as 'good'. If they DON'T have permission to be there, then guess what, it's ILLEGAL! There IS no grey area.

Programming, modifying code, editing things, not 'hacking', and that certainly does NOT make you a hacker.

I am talking about you not understanding hacking....there is a difference between a hacker and a person who circumvents someones security for personal reasons. I am a hacker...it does not mean I that I even could have hacked someones network. I hacked my bed into a unit that folds out of the wall (as an arcade machine) and becomes a bed. That is hacking....does it have anything to do with networks...no...how bout some other persons personal security...no.

And also by your logic...since all hackers are criminals.... http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Flashlight-Hack!!/ the guy who posted that must be a criminal huh?

You obviously don't understand the term hacking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking... ..the word is not inherent of a crime...a crime is a separate issue.

I am talking about you not understanding hacking....there is a difference between a hacker and a person who circumvents someones security for personal reasons.
No, there isn't
Just because you (and a few select others) want to call yourself a 'hacker' doesn't make it so. It means that you have no idea what you're talking about.

And also by your logic...since all hackers are criminals.... http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Flashlight-Hack!!/ the guy who posted that must be a criminal huh?
That's not a HACK, that's a modification. That's someone taking what is theirs and legally modifying it. That is NOT a hacker at all.
You obviously don't understand the term hacking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking... ..the word is not inherent of a crime...a crime is a separate issue.
Just because wikipedia gives it a new meaning (or tries to) doesn't mean it's so.

And also by your logic...since all hackers are criminals..
Again, with the misconception, and putting words in my mouth. WHERE did I say 'all hackers are criminals'? I didn't. What DID I say
HACKERS do everything wrong. HACKING into something that you don't have permission to get into is ILLEGAL, period.
And I stand by that statement. HACKING into something you don't have permission to get into IS ILLEGAL, period.
A programmer is not a 'hacker'
A modder is not a 'hacker'
The only reason these two groups of individuals call themselves that is to look cooler than they actually are. Neither group is a 'hacker'.

Excuse me...you have overstepped your bounds...do you think I really care about being cool?

Also have you ever had a real job...just asking because say in carpentry a hacker is someone who does things either horribly or completely different than normal in his own way. This could be know as a person who is a hacker and their work a hackjob. By the way...hacker was used WAY before computers came along fyi. You should just learn to use English properly if you are going to use it with malice...if you can hack it.

Excuse me...you have overstepped your bounds...do you think I really care about being cool?
Obviously you do if you consider yourself a 'hacker' while you're really not.

By the way...hacker was used WAY before computers came along fyi.
And once again, you misconstrue the entire point, twisting it around to what you want it to be. Where have I said otherwise? Where have I condemned non computer hacking? Oh yeah, I HAVEN'T!

You should just learn to use English properly if you are going to use it with malice...if you can hack it.
And you should stop reading things into what people say!

Obviously you do if you consider yourself a 'hacker' while you're really not.

And once again, you misconstrue the entire point, twisting it around to what you want it to be. Where have I said otherwise? Where have I condemned non computer hacking? Oh yeah, I HAVEN'T!

And you should stop reading things into what people say!

Are you serious...I should not read into you implying that I call myself a hacker to be cool....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hacker http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hacks
: a person who is inexperienced or unskilled at a particular activity <a tennis hacker>

I suppose they don't know the definition either...but I trust them more than you so I am a hacker.
Riiiight, you're not biased at ALL, are you??
HACKERS do everything wrong. HACKING into something that you don't have permission to get into is ILLEGAL, period.

You said hackers are criminals right there. They are not. People who hack to do crime are criminals. Hacking is not illegal. Hackers are not criminals...People who hack "someones network" not under permission of the owners are criminals. I am reading into it because your lack of stating what is the truth and you thinking hackers all want to be cool is offensive and narrow minded.

If you think I want to be cool...I think you just want attention. Are you happy that you are finally getting some?

And biased....you are the biased one...you made a judgement that I think I am cool because I used the word hacker to describe myself. So wait your not biased?

Have you never heard of ethical hacking?
I've definitely seen ethical hacking.
It's the White Hat vs. Black Hat hacking.

Clearly, their audience wanted to know both results. There are several other now unclassified reports that describe ethical hacking activities within the U.S. military.[4] The idea to bring this tactic of ethical hacking to assess security of systems was formulated by Dan Farmer and Wietse Venema.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hat_(computer_security)

Riiiight, you're not biased at ALL, are you??
HACKERS do everything wrong.
You have absolutely no idea what hacking really means. You just believe what media tells you, right? And you confuse the term hacking with cracking like about 99.9% of all people do. It's not the same, believe it or not.

Basically, in the old sense, hacking means nothing more than "creatively using technology" and hacking does not require to use a computer.

Why do many developers call themselves hackers (it's a commonly used term among Open Source developers, included but not limited to Linux "kernel hackers" and the like) if the term would describe nothing but illegal and evil activities?

Also, many security experts who protect you and your web site from evil activities by finding and properly reporting (or even fixing) security vulnerabilities thus contributing to overall better security often refer to themselves as being hackers.

The reason is simple. Hacking is neither illegal nor evil like using a knife is not illegal or evil. It always depends on HOW you are using it.

Sorry twhiting9275, you clearly have no freaking clue what you're talking about. I know someone, who is a hacker, and does it legally. In fact, financial institutes HIRE him to try and hack into their systems and tell them how he did it, so that they can put up extra security precautions to prevent unethical hackers from illegally entering their systems.

There are professional security exploit organizations that companies can hire to test, and if needed, make changes to, their security network. This is the proper way to utilize someones hacking skills. Not stealing hundreds of thousands of usernames, passwords, emails, CC info, etc...

Stop defending the illegal works of these so called hackers. All they want is to disrupt organizations and steal information. They don't want "change".

Yeah and when the professionals take someones money and don't actually do anything?

What about when a company acts out of line and doesn't even encrypt passwords and ignores MANY demands to change that?

Hacking skills is the reason you have a computer to type on...
01_1975_woz.jpg

remember him....yeah that's a blue box.

Stop telling people to stop feeling how they feel El dictator...If they didn't want change....they wouldn't disclose their bounty and method of getting it to the world. What they did ENSURES change.

Top Bottom