XF 1.5 Spammers registering to put link in profile

Fred.

Hi,

I get a lot of spammers that just register to put their link to their homepage in the profile.

Is there a way to prevent this? Let's say they can only add it after a certain amount of posts.
Any add-on's you can recommend?

Thanks! :)

Remove the Edit profile permission for the Registered user group and set up a promotion after x posts to add members to a user group which allows that permission.

However, we find leaving that allowed enables us to quickly and easily locate the spammers and spam clean them.

Yeah, I really need to make more usergroups to do that kind of things.
It's just that the permissions are going to be more complex than. But there are other things I would like to do with user upgrades so I really have to start with this.

Thanks Brogan (y)

The key is to set the permissions for the Registered user group to the minimum you want all members to have.

Then add secondary user groups with additional permissions as required.

The key is to set the permissions for the Registered user group to the minimum you want all members to have.

Then add secondary user groups with additional permissions as required.
I know how it should be done, just never did it that way.
That's the plan for tomorrow. :)

It took me a few hours to set up everything correctly, made 4 extra usergroups with only the specific permissions set.
Now it's much more flexible. (y) I love XF :cool:

I found a solution that is the best of both worlds. You can allow a user to put some personal information in their profile during login, by using a custom user text field (shown at registration) with the the regex option

Code:
^((?!http).)*$

A spammer (human or not) will attempt to put a URL in here and then find their registration is refused.

I also don't allow any profile editing until their first user promotion, but I let new users know in their welcome PC that once they are approved they will be able to edit their profile.

Top Bottom