spam management flags - allow which warning flags to detect

wtgw

I'm using the stopforumspam database but it only allows you to choose how many warning flags before moderating or rejecting.

Can we choose which warning flag(s) to detect before moderating or rejecting? 1 flag isn't a good option because username can very easily return false positives but email is a very good indicator of spam. For example, username "bob" would get flagged for a spammer who used username "bob13sf23".

By selecting which warning flags to detect, it would cut down on false positives because I could ignore the username flag but use the email flag.

Last edited:
Upvote 26
I'd love to be able to do this, on my vb sites I have SFS set to just deny only if the email matches as this is the only unique identifier, this seems to work very well and it's a shame I can't do it yet on XF.

I'm using the stopforumspam database but it only allows you to choose how many warning flags before moderating or rejecting.

Can we choose which warning flag(s) to detect before moderating or rejecting? 1 flag isn't a good option because username can very easily return false positives but email is a very good indicator of spam. For example, username "bob" would get flagged for a spammer who used username "bob13sf23".

By selecting which warning flags to detect, it would cut down on false positives because I could ignore the username flag but use the email flag.

Hello, I did use glowhost spamomatic on my VB forum before, and there I had the option to exclude usernames from being checked in stopforum spam.

Such an option would be great in the xenforo spam managment.

Maybe this could be added in future versions?

Thank you
Marina

Last edited:
Hello, I did use glowhost spamomatic on my VB forum before, and there I had the option to exclude usernames from being checked in stopforum spam.

Such an option would be great in the xenforo spam managment.

Maybe this could be added in future versions?

Has any consideration been given to this? It seems like a good idea for admins to have the option to exclude usernames if it will block more false positives.

I agree, this is something which is sorely needed! (I'd actually accidentally created a duplicate suggestion for this.)

Still would like extra settings in core XF options to ignore certain types.... like usernames. Without having to use an addon that people are having trouble with, hasn't been updated in over a year, and doesn't list XF 1.5 as compatible.

Please... it is tiring having to approve new users who are not spammers... not a single one of the dozens being flagged have been spammers.

This is very much needed. SFS checking for email and IP are very useful. If either one of those are matched, I want to block registration.

Blocking based on username checking brings a lot of false positives.

Both TPU and TAC have functionality for this.
SFS is useless IMHO if you cant turn off username detection. Too many innocent users are blocked by username detection.

Top Bottom