1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Spam help

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by gavpeds, Dec 2, 2013.

1. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Hi all, i really need some help. I am getting slammed by these guys http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/178.33.173.190 using many different ips.

I have email verification on. i am using the project honey pot and stop forum spam with the strongest of settings.

I also have recaptcha on

Guest posting is not on yet these guys are still slamming me. Any tips very welcome?

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm not totally sure what you mean by saying that a particular IP is slamming you but using many different IPs. Unless you meant IPs owned by OVH?

If so, you could potentially ban a significant portion of the OVH range -- it's fairly unlikely that legit users will register there but there's always that possibility of a false positive.

There are add-ons that may help. Another alternative is to create a required custom field that requires a value in a particular format. Both of these serve to simply make your forum more unique and thus not as easy to target (given that XenForo is a high value target, but your specific site is not).

Note that if you setup a StopForumSpam API key, you'll feed back to SFS and future registrations from that IP (for example) will be more likely blocked.

3. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Thanks, Yes sorry i meant from OVH. I have just set-up a custom profile field. This is something i have done on other platforms which often has helped.

I will look at banning their range but as you say may come with false positives