1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam filters : php vs SMTP

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by ungovernable, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Member

I'm planning to mass mail the 12,000+ users of my forum. What is the best way to avoid spam filters ? Should i use PHP default mail() or connect to my SMTP server instead ?
    I've read the guide and PHP mail function settings are setup correctly.
  2. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

Probably a well-configured SMTP, but if php mail() is setup perfectly it might not make a difference.

Just make sure your SMTP server (or whatever mail() is using in turn) is setup for DKIM and that you have a proper SPF record setup on your domain. Those two things will go a long way in keeping your mail out of the spam filters.

Reverse DNS records can help too.
    StarArmy likes this.
  3. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

Is this thread referring to the following setting?
    Available at: /admin.php?options/list/emailOptions
    StarArmy likes this.
  4. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

5. ForestForTrees

We use Google Apps for sending some of our email, but currently use PHP for sending out our XF notification emails. We also use dovecot for some of our cPanel clients on the same server. Any thoughts on what we can do to improve delivery? We're pretty low volume, but have had bounces on forum notification and client emails.

Our ISP has set up SPF and DKIM records on our DNS using cPanel, but they don't seem to know whether they apply to PHP emails, dovecot emails, or Google Apps emails. I find that a bit worrisome.
  6. Solidus

Use a service like SparkPost or Mailgun.
  7. ForestForTrees

Would Mandrill work?
  8. Solidus

Sure, but that's becoming a paid service next month. I just migrated from Mandrill to SparkPost with no issues.
    ForestForTrees likes this.
  9. ForestForTrees

10. Sachin Tiwari

Sachin Tiwari New Member

I would suggest to use a good SMTP service instead of default PHP mail (). Reason behind this is most of the times the IP addresses assigned by the hosting providers are either shared or not carring a good reputation. Because of this reason you will start facing email deliverability related challenges.

Hence, it is recommended to use a good email/SMTP service provider.

You can checkout the services of Pepipost for improving the email delivery rates. Here is the quick Xenforo-Pepipost integration guide: http://support.pepipost.com/knowledge_base/topics/xenforo/