XF 1.5 Spam Emails Causing Blacklisting

Amaury

So this is the second or third time that @Mike Edge has had to request an unblacklist of our domain.

Apparently, emails with spam content have been going out.

"Amaury, John Doe replied to a thread you are watching at KH-Flare.

[Spam content."

Any ideas on how we can combat this would be highly appreciated. Although I don't understand how emails like that are going out. People shouldn't be watching spammers' threads.

We have been getting regular spammers, but we deal with them ASAP. A common spammer appears to be from X4facts(dot)com.

No, It's not spam content going it. It's just members in general, marking any mail they receive from your site as spam. Like if they were watching this thread and received the notice.

You mean legitimate members are marking legitimate (non-spam) emails of reply notifications as spam because they just assume it's spam or am I still not understanding?

You mean legitimate members are marking legitimate (non-spam) emails of reply notifications as spam because they just assume it's spam or am I still not understanding?

Correct.. Maybe just being jerks.. No longer interested in your site but still getting alerts of threads they once posted in or watched or we even had an issue once with a big board we host that had people of another competing site sign up only to do this..

Keep in mind that this is the default setting for how long watched content emails are sent:

pic001.webp

So members who have not logged in beyond 180 days will not get watched content emails.

That's what it's set to. Perhaps I should lower it to 90 days.

No 180 days is fine.

I suspect what you are getting is deferred returns. To resolve this problem you need to contact the web mail provider by filling out a bulk email notification, this lets them know you're a legit organization sending email as requested by your members.

Last edited:
Apparently, emails with spam content have been going out.

"Amaury, John Doe replied to a thread you are watching at KH-Flare.

[Spam content."
Have you had spammers in the past?

Are they getting blocked at the registration step or have they bypassed your SPAM management registration checks and been able to post in existing threads in the past? Maybe your members may have mistakenly reported those new reply notification emails that were triggered by spammers if they got through (i.e. bypassed the moderation queue).

We still get spammers, yes. Can't completely stop them--even XenForo Community gets them.

They all create new threads, though, in our Discussions & Debates forum for some reason. None of them post in existing threads.

Top Bottom